14 month introduction...

1 minute read time.

Our journey started December 2015 when my OH was diagnosed with kidney cancer. After a whirlwind couple of weeks he was back home battered and bruised, minus his left kidney. He had 4 angry scars, lots of black and blue bruises which went every colour of the rainbow over time, a catheter, several bags, tubes, binding and not forgetting the injections he had to administer himself into his stomach.

We thought we were out of the woods. His consultant was confident that he had managed to remove it all. How naïve we were.

As part of the on-going checks, he has to have CT scans and cystoscopies roughly every three months. The very next cysto showed that he had bladder cancer. It has almost been a year now that we have been battling this. There have been TURBTS, a course of mitomycin, countless procedures and now we are facing BCG to see if that does the trick. If not, they have already mentioned RC.

His tubes are a mess so I am not even sure how long they will try BCG before opting for the more drastic option. At 45 we are hoping with all our might that it works. We found out yesterday and it feels very much as if our optimistic approach turned into another slap in the face. He seems to be coping better with the news than me at the minute. I am trying really hard to pick myself back up for the sake of him and our DD (age 9). I know that I will but, I just need time to work it all out in my head before I come back fighting to help him through it. We have come his far and we are certainly not going to give up now.

So, now we are up to date, I am going to use this blog to document our journey as the passed year has gone in a blur, even if I am the only one reading it back over time.

Here's to BCG and keeping everything firmly crossed!!

Anonymous