Taking Stock – Observations from Cycle 1 – Cisplatin and Intravenous 5FU

2 minute read time.

The first thing I thought looking back at Cycle 1, is that I was actually a lot rougher, following the Chemo, than I felt at the time… put another way, I think that by the end of the Cycle, I was feeling an awful lot better than what I felt had become the norm, when coming into treatment… To say this another way; when I was in agonies of acid indigestion and back ache and a pain running up the right hand side of my chest, then into my neck, head and teeth – I was sort of OK with that; it was containable with Paracetamol, Codeine, Omeprazole and ranitidine…. It was just a gradual state of decay that I’d somehow got used to… I hope this makes some sense…

Diet; was crucial for me in the first few days – breakfast was (and still is – only now with the addition of sausage) poached eggs on well chewed light toast – heavily buttered with no salt – horrible Complan for lunch and creamy pasta of some variety for Tea – with tinned ham (need the protein so I’m told)... my handy hint is a generous knob of butter improves most things and also helps with the swallowing – nothing seems to improve the taste of Complan – though I haven’t tried coconut milk which may be worth a shout…

Sleeping; Because this cancer is interfering with the valve between the junction of the oesophagus and stomach, in order to keep everything down, I’m having to sleep on a heap of pillows which I loathe and detest… I tend to sleep in 2 hourly bursts – followed by an hour or 2 awake – though I don’t spend any more elapsed time in bed…

Mood; I should also mention here that the first week dragged horribly – nothing seemed to be happening and I felt like I was looking at 9 weeks of inertia and general thumb twiddling until the next scan - to find out if anything had shrunk/become better contained/done something; an incredibly mind numbing and frustrating thought… But,when, after a week or so, I started feeling an improvement, the next couple of weeks fairly roared past with high spirits – so happy in fact that I’ve spent far more than I should on Interflora for my vintage Aunts birthday… hopefully a good investment though!  There you go – a fine example of positive planning!

As I mentioned, after day 7, things started to improve dramatically – most of the pain went, swallowing became a lot easier and my head cleared a little - though I’m finding that I can only concentrate in hourly bursts; by 3 in the afternoon I need a power nap for an hour or so… possibly more.

When Cycle 2 appeared on Friday just gone - I felt roughly the same as I did before I first went in to see Daktari about the small problem I had swallowing last year… so hurrah for that – something is definitely happening – whether it’s happening enough remains to be seen of course…

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm a special case (whoop) because of my sarcoidosis so I'm going through 3 scans. Have an eus this Thursday, then a ct week beginning 22nd then a pet sometime afterwards. I'm also in Scotland and from reading on here I think things are done a little differently anyway. For a start I'm getting these scans (apart from pet) while I'm still getting chemo.

Once I've had all three scans then they'll consider the operation. Fingers well and truly crossed

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well and truly crossed for you Graeme! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I feel well and truly dogged and rather ducked as well tonight... That's not having my 40 winks this pm having forfeited them for trying to drag out some of the past events and swings... So I'm really glad they've struck a bit of a chord...

I'm generally feeling better this time though I thought I felt OK Last time until I looked back and realised that I didn't at all really...

Selfish 4 year old eh? I don't think they go a day without a germ until they're around 14...oe at least that's how it felt with mine... And then they just expect to keep being rewarded with gadgets!

I thought I'd mentioned... And I think it was an afterthought that I'm having a ct scan on Weds... This is a surprise as I thought it was going to happen during cycle 3... I read up somewhere that this Cisplatin 5fu runs between 2 and 6 cycles... But I was expecting at least 3 cycles as I'm borderline operative.... Maybe miracles do happen... Anyway... Good luck and happy dna mutation to all!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ah Amy. 

There is another blog entry which mentions the further tests which you may have missed... 

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../a-day-of-cisplatin-followed-by-5fu-in-a-pump-to-take-out