Nourish - eating well with cancer

• Sugar and cancer

FormerMember
    FormerMember

My daughter Maya tells me that unlike her, I'm lucky not to have much of a sweet tooth – I am far more likely to crave some delicious salty olives than a bar of chocolate. Yet I couldn’t resist when Darina Allen of the renowned Ballymaloe Cookery School in Ireland gave me one of her wonderful almond biscuits with my mint tea last weekend. I was there to speak at the Ballymaloe Litfest, a celebration of…

• Recipes from Jane - Bright pea green soup

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Bright green and full of nutritious goodness, this soup is comforting and satisfying, without being too heavy. This soup is delicious also served slightly chilled. Peas are a great source of fibre yet gentle on the gut when cooked and pureed in this soup.

Bright pea green soupBright pea green soup

Preparation time: 15 minutes 

Serves: 4

Ingredients

Splash of olive oil 
    1 small leek, finely chopped 
    1 carrot, finely chopped 
    1 stick of celery, finely…

• Eat with the seasons

FormerMember
    FormerMember

There’s nothing quite like the anticipation as the first spears of English asparagus appear in the supermarket and grocers in May. Usually an expensive luxury when it’s forced and flown in from abroad, this wonderful veg instead becomes an affordable treat. I love it lightly steamed and served with mayonnaise. This is also the month for pink and zingy rhubarb, which is growing aplenty in my garden right now. This weekend…

• Recipes from Jane - Stewed apples

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Delicious stewed apples can be served warm or cool with so many things, from a dollop of cream, yoghurt, crème fraîche, custard, or as a topping to cereals, porridge or pancakes. Apples contain pectin, which when deliciously stewed tends to make an easy to digest compote which can help to settle a nauseous stomach.Stewed apples in a jar

Stewed apples

Preparation time: 10 minutes

Cooking time: 10 minutes

Ingredients

6 Bramley or…

• Herbal tonic

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Herbs really are a tonic, bringing flavour to our food and life to our homes. A few pots on a cool windowsill, a balcony or the kitchen table look and smell wonderful, and are ready to be snipped and sprinkled onto dishes to add their pungent freshness. A good friend of mine who is unwell at the moment calls it 'assembling'. When she has only enough energy to put a few ingredients together, she adds herbs to impart their…