Recipes from Jane - Stewed apples

Less than one minute read time.

Delicious stewed apples can be served warm or cool with so many things, from a dollop of cream, yoghurt, crème fraîche, custard, or as a topping to cereals, porridge or pancakes. Apples contain pectin, which when deliciously stewed tends to make an easy to digest compote which can help to settle a nauseous stomach.Stewed apples in a jar

Stewed apples

Preparation time: 10 minutes

Cooking time: 10 minutes

Ingredients

6 Bramley or other large seasonal cooking apples

A large dash of water, orange or apple juice

Method

• Peel, core and slice the apples into similar sized chunks.
  • Place in a large saucepan and add enough water or juice to cover the base of the pan and to give a depth of about 1cm.
  • Bring to the boil on a moderate heat, cover with the lid, lower the heat and simmer until cooked and soft throughout.
  • Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
  • You can either enjoy with some texture within the apple, or puree until smooth.

Join our Online Community to talk to other people affected by cancer

Read more on our Community News Blog

Keep up-to-date with the blog, Nourish - eating well with cancer

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

My husband has had his stomach and part oesophagus removed and stewed apples are one of his favourites. For breakfast I also add tiny pieces of walnut (for protein) and also some sultanas. Sprinkle with a touch of cinnamon, and serve with Greek yogurt. Really good way to start the day.

Thank you for the other suggestions as well.

Rita Schiefersten

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Rita - apologies for not replying sooner. I love the sound of your husband's breakfast and will definitely try it myself soon. I'm a huge fan of Greek yoghurt as it's fortifying and full of healthy bacteria that our guts love.