The Wall

4 minute read time.

I’ve made myself look human today.  I realise I’ve now reached a point in my treatment where I now look unwell as well as feel unwell.  Makeup is essential to avoid frightening people!
Having managed to do the cold cap, I do still have hair.  But it looks bad.  About a third of its normal thickness, dull and lifeless.  I wear it in a french plait most of the time as that somehow gives the illusion of more hair and covers the thinner patches.  Sometimes I think about packing in the cold cap but then I think about pruning an old rose….don’t cut it all down in one go, leave some old branches so that you will still have flowers each season until the new growth establishes itself.  My theory is regrowth will look better with some of my old hair.
I still have eyelashes and eyebrows but I might as well not have them as the hair is thin and pale and you can’t really see it.  But at least it is something to work with so I’m grateful.
My eyes are always puffy, no matter how much sleep I get and my skin is pallid with the remnants of a big blotchy patch on my cheek from the shingles I kept getting during the first chemo drugs.

You know, to be honest, right now I am struggling.  I’ve tried very hard to remain positive through all of this and I’ve been really good in terms of my grand plan and daily goals.
I’m now 46% fluent in Spanish according to Duolingo, I’ve started painting a portrait of my son, I’ve done loads of work in my garden, I go to yoga weekly and have been waking up at 7am every day.  I’ve managed to curb my gradual weight gain by using an app called MyFitnessPal and have been exercising fairly regularly.  So I should be feeling better about things, right?  Wrong.

I feel like I’m at a fork in the road.  And this is where I realise that getting through chemotherapy is whole lot about how strong your mind is.  Everyone worries about the side effects but you don’t realise those side effects are also on the way you think.  This feels like “The Wall” that marathon runners talk about.  Does everyone get to this point?
Yes, I have physical side effects at the moment…mouth ulcers that make it very painful to eat and drink, flu-like symptoms (thank you Paclitaxel) and tiredness likely related to anaemia…but those pale in comparison to the mental dialogue that is going on:
“What’s the point of going through all this?  Is there anything positive at the end of it?  No: you are menopausal before your time, not only will you be missing a lovely feminine body part but it will probably be replaced by a massive disfiguring keloid scar, your bones may have lost density and you may have heart issues…you are effectively an old lady before the age of 40.  Treatment is going against nature’s course!  That’s why other things keep going wrong - you are upsetting the balance by trying to save yourself.”  
Sounds harsh but that’s the chatter I am dealing with.  Jeez, reading it back it is unbelievably negative.  And yes, I know, it is missing the statement, “But I will be cancer free”, which then turns into “Well, for now anyway”.  But even guilt tripping about how grateful I should be does not shut it up.

It’s been triggered by some upsetting news.  News that affects my purpose for being here.  My personal life is taking a bit more of a dive and I’m finding it very, very difficult to deal with.  To the point where I’m losing my light at the end of the tunnel.  I feel a bit unnecessary.  

What stage am I at on the Kugler-Ross Model?  I was looking this up the other evening…Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.  It must be Depression although I don’t remember going through Anger.
As ever, Acceptance seems an unachievable state.  Accepting the unfairness of what is happening without a reason seems inconceivable.  

Why is this happening?
What is the point?

Those are my two questions.

I’ve just got back from round 3 of weekly chemo (second lot of drugs treatment).  I am one of those people who believes that people come into your life for a reason.  There is something to learn from everyone.  My colleague, who has become a dear friend, might have just saved me without having the slightest idea that she did.
While sitting with me at chemo discussing recent events, she mentioned the word “stability” to me.  It’s something that hadn’t featured on my ‘purpose for being’ thoughts.  I’m going to think about it a bit more.
Something my son can recite when asked what mummy always says is: “No matter what, mummy loves me”…I may not be a bundle of laughs at the moment, I may not do cool things like ride horses or go swimming…but I am always here whenever I am needed.  I can do that.

I knew writing things down would help me in some way.  These are the things I am going to do:

1. Meditate every day with the idea of stability in the centre of things to see what this means to me
  2. Make sure I listen to the people in my life at the moment.  I think they have important things to say to me.
  3. Be ‘present’ when I have my son.  Not on the phone, not learning Spanish, not quickly checking something online.  Present.  With him.

Good luck with The Wall everyone.  I think I have taken my first step up and found a very small crevice for a hand grip….

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well, I think a lot of what you have said we all feel at some point, to some extent. For me, the initial fear was the worst, the waiting for MRI and TAC and bonescans.....once I started treatment there was relief. My unrelenting positivity waivered after my 3rd EC. Nausea, headaches, dizzyness, never ending oral thrush (allergic to the medicine - more nausea), mouth ulcers, nails starting to discolour, very tired, all hair lost...I too looked in the mirror and thought that yes, I look like the cancer pacient no one wants to be. I feel quite angry a lot of the time, not that I have it but because it's robbing me of my life for a year - but then I thought that I'm young enough to pack 2 years living into the year I feel better. Why is this happening? Well, in my case, sheer bad luck. It's not hereditary, I don't smoke or drink, I'm thin and have been a runner for years. Discard the question and put your energy into getting better. As for what is the point? Well, I'm lucky enough to want to stay alive because I liked my life...I love my family and would go through anything for them...when I rescued my big, beautiful dog I promised her she would never be abandoned again...on my worst chemo days these are the things I think about and yes, it's tough. I've experienced the wall several times as a marathon runner but just slowed down to control my breathing and focused on putting one foot in front of the other until it passed. My cancer is the same, one day at a time accepting some are better than others. If I have a wave of fear I sometimes have a few tears but let the wave go too - I can't change the cancer or the treatment but I can still find something good in that day. Having cancer and chemo is pretty crap but the support network is pretty special. If it helps, I speak fluent Spanish so if you want to practise I'm happy to help! Oh yes, and not being able to sleep is tough.... stay strong, the weeks still pass!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hola Raggarty

Thank you for your message - you do sound like a very positive person and I recognise a lot of my "normal" self in you.  I too have been very slim, fit and healthy all my life, BRCA testing came back negative and it seems it is just bad luck.  Maybe one day they will be able to find reasons and treatment will not be such an ordeal.  Anger...my best friend and I joke that she seems to be feeling my emotions for me.  She has been angry since the moment I was diagnosed!  

I've started seeing a counsellor and my second appointment is today.  Hopefully she will be able to help me work through this bad patch and help me find a bit more purpose.  In the mean time, I think I am doing the equivalent of your tactic when you hit The Wall.  I'm on autopilot from the plans I put in place right in the beginning (thank goodness I did that!)...keeping my good routine, even if I am not feeling it right now.  One foot in front of the other...

Good luck lovely, I hope you managed to get some sleep too last night. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello, I've just joined this 'club' that none of us ever wanted to be a part of and yours is the first blog post I've read. I am in awe already, not just because you're 46% fluent in Spanish (although as a linguist I do have a certain amount of language envy) but at your ability to put it all into words - yes, the good, the bad and the ugly. You've already given me strength and for that I thank you.

It's strange but even in my early stage of this ride, I'm anticipating 'The Wall' you describe, asking myself if it's possible to prepare for it. Do I have the necessary 'equipment' to scale it? Is it like 'We're Going On A Bear Hunt where 'We can't go over it, we can't go under it, oh no! We've got to go through it!'

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My apologies for the abrupt ending to my comment on your blog, I hit 'post' before I was ready! Teething problems I guess.

i just wanted to add that whatever you gain from blogging, be sure that what you give is so very welcomed and appreciated by people like me, newly inducted and absorbing that very first shock that the process exposes us to.

Here's hoping today is a good one!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Marie50

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis but you are definitely in the right place for support and positivity when you need it most - everyone on here is really lovely and there is always someone here for you...

And thanks for your comment, if I am helping that is great! :)  In hindsight, I think the best thing I did in preparation for The Wall (without realising it) was set up a sort of positive routine when I was still feeling pretty healthy.  I've written about it in previous blog posts and although I can't say I've been successful at everything, I think it has helped.  Various things have become habit for me now and I imagine that without them it would be very easy to choose self destructive behaviour, hide away in my room and cave in to the self pity having reached this point.  At least this way, I am too busy ticking tasks off my list to mope about much!

You will get through it and we are all here for you.  One step at a time... X