Navigating the wobble - Mindfulness

4 minute read time.

I’ve just added my comments to a discussion thread and was praising the effectiveness of Mindfulness.  It made me realise how far I’ve come with this and how it really has helped me navigate a wobble in my treatment.  Without it, I would have been sailing in the storm, floundering around as the wind whipped up towering waves to crash onto the deck drowning me in my own tears and self pity.
That’s not to say I’ve been calmly watching from a distance, bathed in sunshine and happiness.  I’m not quite that good….yet!  I’d say I’ve been through a little squall that could very easily have built up to a big storm if I’d let it.

A week ago I went for a follow up with my oncologist.  Having had 2 cycles of EC90, we were checking progress.  The physical examination was not great.  My tumour did not seem to be responding and was stubbornly remaining the same size (~ 50mm x 70mm).  Disappointing.

On Monday I went for an MRI and a CT scan so that we could know for sure and change my treatment plan accordingly.

From the observation deck, I have watched as the following thoughts and emotions have swept in:

• disappointment in the lack of co-operation from my body to do the drugs’ and my mind’s bidding
  • anger that the last 6 weeks have been in vain
  • fear of the change in treatment and what that might entail
  • panic about what might happen if the “Big Guns” treatment doesn’t work either
  • sadness at the loss of some of my positivity and certainty that this will work
  • fear at the realisation that I am not as strong as I thought I was
  • revulsion towards the drugs and unnaturalness of it all
  • anger and frustration that I can’t fix this myself
  • doubt that I am doing the right thing
  • sadness at the feeling that maybe this is all just “my time” and I shouldn’t fight it

That’s a lot of emotion!  The old me would have shut the curtains, curled up in a ball and sobbed for hours.  Woken up the next day with swollen eyes and a headache and not done anything constructive for the rest of the week, thinking of all the bad things that have happened to me over the course of my whole life, all the bad things that are likely to happen to me in the future, culminating in my feeling of complete worthlessness and failure as a human being!  Yes, I know, all a bit melodramatic, but not far from the truth.

Yesterday evening, I had an appointment with my oncologist to get the results of the scans and decide where we would go from here.
Gasp, shock, it was good news!  Although the dastardly tumour had not done an awful lot, my lymph nodes have returned to normal size and there is no sign of the cancer in them anymore!  It IS working!

The wave of relief was palpable!  It was only when I felt this relief that I realised how much of a wobble I had, in fact, had.
Treatment will continue as originally planned.
Small hiccup in that the scans showed a chest infection so we will delay for a few days and let the antibiotics do some work.  I can live with that!!!

Looking back at the week, I realise that I have actually functioned reasonably normally over this period of uncertainty.
I’ve looked after my son (who has been ill with a sickness bug), been on a date, gone for some lovely walks with my dog, eaten healthily, done some gardening and even went for a 5km jog yesterday morning!  (Makes sense that it was a bit of a struggle now I know I have a chest infection!).

I would definitely attribute this ability to function to practising mindfulness.  It’s important to note that mindfulness is not burying one’s head in the sand.  I did still feel all those emotions I mentioned.  Experienced them physically as well as mentally.  My family and friends did notice my anxiety and lower mood.  BUT, my reactions to the emotions were different.  I didn’t get swept away with them and allow my thoughts to become my reality.  I didn’t curl up into a ball, eat badly and lose my motivation to do anything constructive.

I feel really proud of my achievements here.  If there’s a platform to test the theory, having cancer is certainly a robust one.
I’m not sure it works for everyone but I don’t believe it can do any harm to try.

If anyone is interested in giving it a go, I have been working my way through this book which has guided meditations:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/mindfulness-enhanced-edition/id434878610?mt=11

You can also get it in paperback, hardcover, audiobook etc.

It’s not a matter of letting go - you would if you could.  Instead of ‘Let it go,’ we should probably say ‘Let it be.’ ” ~ Jon Kabat-Zinn

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello QuietRose.

Loved reading your blog because Mindfulness has helped me so much through my cancer journey.  Thank you for sharing the book recommendation, will have to look into that.  Glad to read you are doing so well and I think you can definitely be proud of your achievements. 

Margaret x

• Thank you, this really helped me. I've had 2 X FEC and have cancer if a similar size to you. Mine hasn't shrunk either. It's good to know that it might be doing some good elsewhere even if it isn't shrinking. Jo x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Margaret!  I think Mindfulness is possibly the best thing to happen to me...I wish everyone would give it a try!  Looking at your background you probably know a lot more about it than me but I hope you find the book good X

Hi Jo, I know how horrible it feels - I just couldn't understand why it wasn't working and felt really miserable that, of course, it was me who had to be the exception!!  My oncologist says they don't know why it doesn't work in some people but that the cancer in the breast can react differently to any elsewhere in your body as it has a lot of tissue and fat around it.  It was such a relief to know about the lymph nodes as it means it will be destroying anything that's just floating around looking for a home even if the main tumour is not doing an awful lot.  So, perhaps you are similar to me but because your lymph nodes don't seem to be affected anyway, you haven't been able to see the work the FEC is doing...Has your oncologist suggested changing your treatment?  Mine has said the next phase of my treatment (still have 2 cycles of EC90 to go first) are the big guns and was considering moving me to this early (paclitaxel, herceptin and pertuzumab).  He thinks we will see my tumour responding once we start this.

We'll get through this Jo - big hug X

• Thank you. I only have one more FEC left and then I move on to the T part so hopefully that will work. It make sense about tumours in the breast being surrounded by fat and tissue - mine certainly is!

Take care xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Quietrose, girl you SHOULD be proud of yourself! I read your blog and take my hat off to you, you are made of strong stuff. definitely superwoman criteria and its such good news about your lymphs. I know a little about mindfulness but I'm rusty so I'm going to follow your link. I was pretty down tonight but after reading what you were saying I'm going to pick myself up, shake myself down and get on with it. Thank you, you've been a tonic to me tonight.....and ....ahem....how was the date? Good I hope. take care, much love and delight at your news, jackie xxx