Strength through trials

4 minute read time.

Many ask how I am, some not really being sure what was wrong in the first place. I've been private for a reason, but do have a story. I have waited…. and paused, not knowing how to share properly. It's a very personal story due to the nature of my suffering, but I'm hoping someone else can takeaway encouragement if in a similar health situation.

This verse and many others helped me. Romans 5:3-5 ...but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance and endurance produces character, and character produces hope...

Although May through July were the worst months of my entire life, so were the 12 or so months before my surgery. I had symptoms not discussable, not imaginable - trust me. Work and life carried on. More than twenty doctor appointments later, I was still desperately trying to find relief. A smile on my face. No one had any idea. Life carried on, as did our annual planning of a cruise. Packing had begun when I received the news from a biopsy (from a different problem) no one wants to hear. I won't let it claim me, so I won't even speak the name but it begins with a "c." The other problem I had, along with the above caused the need for two surgeries and to cancel the trip. What? No! We've been looking forward to it for 6 months! We live for cruises and have already paid for it! I have a countdown printed on my wall at work!

We sadly, and slightly in shock, cancelled flights, hotel and our cruise so that other reservations could be made - at the hospital. Throughout this ordeal, I have had to be my own medical advocate to get what I needed. If I was a passive person I might never have received a correct diagnosis or treatment. It took doctor #5 to diagnose both of my problems. The others were clueless and wasted precious months allowing my problem to advance. I finally succeeded in getting two top doctors from different hospitals to team together on one date to do both surgeries I needed. This helped avoid the obvious risk with two separate surgery dates and a lengthier recovery.

Surgery was a success. Now for the 6-8 week recovery. There is no description I can put into print of the extent of what I endured that kept me homebound, from driving, from sleeping in my own bed, or sitting or going to the bathroom like a normal person. It was painful, comparable to a mastectomy.

I reached a point of celebration when I began to function semi-normally again and was able to get the horrible appendage called a JP drain removed from my side. I had a hate affair with that thing. I can't really it describe politely. It was out barely one whole day. It was a
Friday and I was ready to return to work soon, but ended up back in the hospital the same day with a serious "complication" called cellulitis, a skin infection, most likely caused by the drain. Four days of IV antibiotics later, I was sent home from the hospital. Then it happened again the next Friday night and I was back in the ER. This time I was administered the “big guns” IV antibiotics.

As though all of this wasn't enough, the removal of many groin lymph nodes caused a permanent condition of my right leg called lymphedema. What? I'd never heard of it and had no idea how it would affect me forever. It doesn't go away, but can be controlled. To do so, you must wear a waist to toe Velcro pump gizmo for one hour daily. It stimulates your lymph system. In addition, I stepped into the world of compression garments. Very expensive, hot, and hard to put on, but thank goodness for health insurance and these items to keep down swelling which goes hand-in-hand with increasing risk of recurring cellulitis. Also, my right leg is now at risk for infection (forever), so no pedicures, no razors, no hot tubs, no sun on the leg. I love swimming, but I was told public pools are discouraged. Big sigh.

Because I have a great employer, I worked from home all summer and went back to work full-time in September. I've had weekly doctor appointments of one kind or another since then that are finally becoming less frequent. Physical therapy has been helpful, but most of all what has gotten me to the good place that I am in now has been an amazing husband, daughter and the prayers of many. I reached out to those family and friends that I knew shared my beliefs and they came through for me - and I am GRATEFUL.

Whatever you might be suffering from, I hope you will be encouraged. Light really does come after the darkest hours, if you have faith. Be encouraged. You are being made strong.

Anonymous