struggling

1 minute read time.

My partner got diagnosed with classic Hodgkin lymphoma in February, she started ABVD treatment and finished in August. On the 6 weeks PET scan her cancer had come back in the same place. [Primary refractory lymphoma] she is about to go back into hospital to start salvage chemo and this will be followed by BEAM and stem cell transplant.

We are only 27, the risk of becoming in-fertile is high which is really getting to her. But for me I just want her to start treatment ASAP. I lost my Dad when my partner was on ABVD and I've not really spoke about it since we have had to have a long distance relationship as I need to be there for my mum. I find it hard to talk about my feelings because I need to be strong for her. I am so scared that this treatment isn't going to work and I am going to lose someone else so close to me. I really don't know what to do and just want to run away. I know that sounds selfish but I can't go through seeing her so ill with the chance of not being cured.  

Nobody can tell me if everything is going to be OK. I can't bare the waiting around. I'm all over the place and finding it really hard to keep in a positive mindset. I find my self constantly on google looking up BEAM chemo and success rates I can't help but to think the worse. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there,

I am in a similar position to you, so know how you feel. my husband was diagnosed with stage 2b classical Hodgkins in July 15. He had 4 cycles of ABVD before being escalated to BEACOPP 14 as it hadn't responded the way they would have liked. He had his all clear a year ago but sadly we got the news on Tuesday that it's decided to make a comeback . We are just waiting for the final biopsy results but it looks as though it will be a similar course of treatment to your partner.

From what I've read there is still a good chance of a full cure, but obviously it's going to be hard slog getting to the point of being in remission.

I too am finding myself all over the place and work is nigh on impossible as I find myself staring blankly into space!

I don't know if this helps at all, but hopefully knowing someone else knows exactly how you feel will give you some form of reassurance.

Chin up and hope your partner isn't suffering too badly with side effects from the chemo.

N