September 6th 2016

1 minute read time.

Another retrospective post, but I'm forcing myself to keep on track!

September 6th at 4.15 in the afternoon my mum & sister call to tell me Dad's had a hemorrhage in the night and he's in hospital. As my mum and sister work together, my mum couldn't get away with not telling her as she'd notice her absence. They tell me there's nothing to worry about and it's all ok. Still - it's 45 minutes until I finish work. I worry why they didn't call just a bit later...

On Friday 9th he has another hemorrhage in the morning. My mum calls to tell me and although she keeps reassuring me, she does ask if I can try and leave work early. When I get into work I explain this all to my boss, who tells me to 'just bugger off, you don't need to stay here'. Once again, I'm so so greatful.

I head home and manage to get there in time for the afternoon visiting. We see him again on Saturday, and manage to squeeze in a visit Sunday morning before I leave. In between the endoscopies and the blood covered sheets he's, as always, being so brave and positive. He gives me a little teddy bear from the hotel my parents just visited for a weekend break. He kisses him on the head and tells him to look after me. We agree to call him Mac - short for Macmillan.

It hurts to leave, but I manage to make it back down to Devon on the Sunday afternoon. He's told he has an infection and they can't find the source of his bleed so he's not allowed out until later in the week.

Worrying that they can't find the source, and won't try anymore. Still, we plough on.

Anonymous