The first MRI - knowing my mood music

2 minute read time.

The following week on 03 November, I went for my MRI at the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh.  I was winning right from the word go because I got a parking space in seconds.

I've had MRIs before.  When I was a lot younger, I signed up to a neurology experiment that paid a few quid, where I had my brain scanned for about an hour at a time over several sessions.  About a decade ago I did my shoulder in and had an MRI on my back and neck.  So I have become familiar with having my head and body inside a tightly spaced, incredibly loud, clanking, buzzing, donking, whooshing washing machine.  I was braced to find it incredibly claustrophobic.

Instead, it was a bright, airy, mood-lit, enormous halo of a Krispy Kreme.  Nothing even vaguely scary.  The nurse balked a bit at my impressive biopsy bruising and caked on dried blood so she didn't pad me out too tightly, but I was very comfy.  There was a comedy moment after the nurse had put in a cannula (to inject the 'contrast' or gadolinium dye, later into the MRI) when I pulled the scrunchy out of my hair to try to work out if it had metal in it.  Hair, everywhere.  And then I couldn't bennd both arms up to put the scrunchy back in.  So we had to use the headphones to pin my hair out of the way once I got onto the machine's sliding bed.

Being an amateur musician, I play a lot of classical music.  Once the thick ear plugs were in, and the headphones were on, I was deaf to everything.  In fact I could barely hear the radiologist give me soothing instructions.  Instead, I happily played spot that tune, hearing the faint sounds of the first movement of Rachmaninov's second symphony, a large chunk of Mozart 40, an orchestral version of the Titanic theme tune, and a song version of the Downton Abbey theme among other delights that gave me the giggles.  Except I couldn't giggle because you have to lie still.  The mood lighting was very soothing so I didn't really notice more than 30 mins of different banging, crashing, scrunching, whooshing, washing, buzzing, pneumatic drilling sound effects, nor the sensation when the contrast was injected near the end, I think.  I really couldn't tell.

The radiologist announced they had got everything they wanted and, with the cannula out, I was off to lunch with a friend.

Anonymous