Beginning - GP frowning

1 minute read time.

It began with admitting to my new GP on 13 October 2016 that I had been pretending the mahoosive lump in my left breast was nothing to worry about. 

After all, back in 2014 when I was living full time in London, the breast team at Homerton Hospital had told me to go away, enjoy my life, forget about the lumps, not have regular check ups as my age and family history didn't warrant them, and only come back if I had obviously new lumps to concern them with.  At that check up they'd also decided that I had had too many recent mammograms to risk having another set, that to biopsy the regrown fibroadenomas would cause more problems than not because I had such tough breast tissue (granite) the needles would bend again and cause more problems and that any pain was a sign of nothing to worry about.  I had had two collections of fibroadenomas taken out in 2008 and 2012, and one tiny spot of suspicious calcifying cells hoovered up in 2012 as well, identified for posterity with a tiny surgical metal marker that's never been comfortable.

The GP started cheerily enough, did an exam, didn't get very far and frowned at me a lot, did that professional 'I'm very calm' in a flustered way, and admitted none of my GP notes had arrived in Scotland from my previous London GP, despite being registered in Scotland for over a year already.  She did some very kind and generous downplaying, and promised me a speedy referral.

I went home having a strong suspicion it was 'trouble' but with no real evidence to go on, there was zero point in worrying at that juncture.

Anonymous
  • Hello there,

I think I am your twin! Almost the same story, except that I live in Wales an hour form anywhere useful. Moved here six years ago and wishing I was closer to my family now, but, hey ho, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I have always had lumpy breasts, like you and didn't pay attention to every one, I would've been at the doctors every month, I have had two begnine lumps removed in the past though.

I got a recall after I had my mammogram that you get aged 50. I just knew I would, it was almost a certainty, 6 June, thats when I opened the can of worms, I got sent to the one stop breast care centre, no one stop for me though, after many needle biopsies, a result of 'inconclusive' on calcifications on the right breast and don't worry about the left breast, the lumps are just begnine cysts. So a wait of three weeks for the appointment for VAB on the right breast, quite a few, and very painful and a long almost three week wait for the results and guess what, the all clear.

But then I noticed a lump on my left breast a little while after this, thinking there wasn't a problem with the left side, I left it, Im going through the menopause so just thought it was hormonal.

I went to my GP when it didn't go away, in fact it got bigger, he thought it was a cyst (which it was to be fair) I got referred back to the hospital, they thought the same and drained it, wow what a relief, loads of clear fluid came out...but then, she ran the ultrasound over the area, there it was, a lump, it'd been sneakily hiding behind the cyst! two needle biopsies and a four day wait, during which time the cyst returned with a vengeance and Im told its a grade 3 invasive cancer.

Mastectomy, radiotherapy and chemotherapy will follow. Probably more, I don't know.

At the moment I am in limbo land, the cyst is now huge and painful, nothing can be done about it as my surgery is in 8 days, i just have to wait, in the mean time, ct scan and bone scan. I am terrified its spreading as the cyst is huge now.

I just do not know what the answer is for ladies like us who live with lumpy breasts, its always there, the niggling doubt that it could be something else...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Blimey! That's one rollercoaster of a ride already! Being similarly new to all this, I'm not sure what to say. I imagine it all depends on how much you want to know about what is going on with you, and how much you'd prefer to leave it to your breast team just to lead you through whatever they think needs to happen. Me, I'm an information hoarder, and I get engrossed in trying to understand the basics of the proceedures and drugs and side effects so that I can feel more comfortable and confident about what may happen to me. Also, occasionally, as a patient in previous situations, I have had to steer the medics that are looking after me because I already know that if they head off down a different route, I'll be in worse trouble. But I get lots of advice and suggestions from People Who Know before I do any steering!!

The good thing about this community here is that you can get very technical, spell out the detailed pathology figures and anything else, and people here will understand in a flash!

Take care of you!