What can I get him?

Less than one minute read time.

My father's recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer and his health is deteriorating more rapidly that we could have ever imagined. His birthday is approaching and he's been attached to the bed for the past few days. What can I get him? It goes without saying between us that he wouldn't benefit from material things, and in a position similar to this I would have opted for an experience more than anything, but given his health this doesn't seem like a viable option. This is one of the thing that's recently been stressing me out and upsetting me.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi JamesPC,

Welcome to the Community. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, but you've come to the right place for support.

I recommend you join our Family and friends forum (Group) group and post your question in there. You'll receive far more replies posting within a group than as a blog.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jazmine
    Online Community Officer

• Hi JamesPC Do any members of your family live away from your home town? If so he might appreciate you organising for them to visit. other than that I can only suggest things that will help him pass the time - DVDs, an Ipad, puzzle books, pencils or whatever he enjoys.

Wishing you the best at a difficult time

Lynn xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear James

All you can give him now is your love and your company, but they are the most precious things of all.

Have you thought of writing him a letter to tell him how much you love and appreciate him?

I did this with my father a few weeks before he died, I found it in his bedside drawer when I was clearing up his things, so he kept it. It was a great comfort tome too, to say just how much I had valued and loved him.

I wish you well in the darkest hours

XxxNiobe