End of life care

1 minute read time.

My poor Father in law was diagnosed with pleural Mesothelioma over 2 years ago but has now reached a terminal phase . He is now suffering greatly with pain and dramatic weight loss. He spends much of his time in bed and is having difficulty swallowing so is now dehydrated and has developed an acute confusional state possible secondary to a biochemical imbalance . He is being cared for at home by his wife with minimal support. Of my many concerns it is very distressing to see him suffer so much and to be getting minimal input form any professional service apart from a weekly visit from a McMillan nurse for which we are all so grateful . The GP has never visited and indeed queried the need for any help and they are unable to make contact except by going to the surgery. 

At present he has developed what may be a medical emergency but there seems to be no means of getting hep including the emergency service who told them they can't access his record. 

The situation seems cruel and so distressing . I'm so sad that end of life care has become so difficult and so worrying for anyone suffering from terminal cancer. I am so grateful for the McMillan charity in providing some very limited support but disappointed that medical care has gone back to a time before my training in the 1980s and should be a huge concern to all. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm really sorry about your father in law. What you describe should not be happening. I appreciate as a doctor you will have knowledge of services in your area but I'm not sure from your post whether there isn't a community palliative care service at all or that he hasn't been referred to it? If the latter I would be ringing the nurse and GP now and asking why and seeking an urgent referral, which failing I would want to speak to his oncologist directly about organising this. He might need a short stay in hospice to get his pain relief and hydration sorted out. You might want to talk to the Macmillan Helpline who know far more about this than I do. I hope your family can get some help and your father in law is feeling more comfortable soon.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm so sorry to read this, what an awful situation. I cannot believe that his GP could be so callous as to not come and see him at home. I would dread this situation arising with my husband (he has advanced prostate cancer) but I have already contacted our local hospice and a nurse visits us regularly. She is aligned with our surgery and intervenes whenever we need it (getting through the reception guardians). We have decided that end of life will be in the hospice because of the pain issue. It's so distressing for all concerned to manage at home and hats off to those that do. Our hospice nurse always advises on medications and the doctors at th hospice can also help and advise.

I think it must be your local services that are poor, I would suggest you contact your local MP to complain, I'm sure that they will try to help you.

With sincere regards

A

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Very many thanks for the helpful replies to my post . Sadly my Father-in-law lives in the south of England and I am based in the North of Scotland which is proving a major challenge not least because travel in the UK has become quite difficult.

He has now had a blood test but to date there has been no update despite the urgency of his condition. He has been referred to the local palliative care team and thankfully they are doing their best under pressure. While appreciating that GPs are under great pressure I am still so disappointed that there would appear to be no time for a patient at the end of his life who is suffering.

I can only hope care is better elsewhere in the country.

Thanks again.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm glad that the palliative team are involved and I hope your father in-law is soon receiving better care and most importantly pain relief. I'm shocked by his GP's attitude. Whatever the pressures, to refuse to visit a patient in this position is unacceptable. Wishing you all well.