1st Oncology Appointment

Less than one minute read time.

I'm currently in hospital recovering from surgery to remove a sarcoma and plug the hole it came from. I should be feeling happy as I've been told I should be able to go home on Saturday but I feel anxious and very homesick. I've also been told I have my first Oncology Appointment at st James tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect not sure I'm able to face up to the fact I have cancer!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Don't worry too much, everybody in oncology departments are experienced and will give you all the support you need. You will come to terms with it but it can be a bumpy ride. Just remember, there are very many people on here wishing you well.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you for your reply Bifield. I think that I've been so focused on surgery that I haven't thought about the cancer until now.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm still new to this. I recently had a tumour removed from my bowel and I start my chemo next week. I do know that you must keep a positive outlook on life and not just lie down and give up. There is so much can be done these days.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good luck with your chemo. I have been positive just lately determined to get back to my family, it's just this appointment has thrown me a bit and stirred up some hidden emotions

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Just to update that I am being discharged...just waiting for meds as usual. The appointment was ok, the radio therapy process was explained to me and was nothing I hadn't already learnt. I was shocked to hear that there is a 1 in 3 chance of reoccurrence of my sarcoma type without radio therapy and 1 in 10 after radio therapy which makes me take the cancer more seriously....if that makes sense! Of course I'm scared as don't want to go through this again, but my discharge from hospital has made me feel much better.