The Waiting Room

Less than one minute read time.

When did my life become a waiting room?

Like elastic under strain, my future has snapped back into the present and the horizon disappeared.

Life is shrinking, control is slipping, I am dependent on the whim of others.

Waiting;

For more tests

For biopsy results

For surgery (who would ever have dreamed of wishing away the days until the scalpel was wielded?)

And now

Waiting;

For recovery

For test results

For a jumble of unintelligible acronyms upon which my future depends (ER, PR, HER2, K167 now define and control my choices)

For ‘the plan’

Each wait becomes the total focus

Carries an expectation of relief from uncertainty

Just this last wait to be endured

And then;

Decisions to be made

A chance for activity

Passivity over

Progress towards the finish line (wherever that may be)

But;

The waits will continue

For treatment to begin

For treatment to finish

For yet more tests

Maybe more treatment

For the magical ‘all clear’

Will it end then?

Will the future stretch out again into the distance, to be filled with plans and hopes, dreams and fantasies.

Will I pick up the threads and march forward eagerly?

I hope so.

But;

I think a part of me will remain in the waiting room

Waiting for the return

Waiting for the uncertainty to begin again

Anonymous
  • Hi Budgie65

Welcome to the Waiting Room - The Runaway Mine Cart should be arriving shortly :(

Think you summed up the rubbish waiting results stage to a 'T'  You slowly chug up that hill, pause for what seems like ages at the top then they let the brakes off :-/

Noticed you have just joined the Breast group (good move btw) do create a New Discussion there as an intro and ask any questions you may have.

Like what all those unintelligible acronyms actually mean and how the results from those would affect any of your treatment regimes.

The 'ride' for us started in May 2012 after being thrown about a lot we got through the treatment tunnel but are still trying to find our way out of the theme park that is Mac Towers - Home of the scariest Roller Coasters.

Look forward to chatting more in the breast group, hugs, G n' J