Coming to terms with the news.

Less than one minute read time.

Three weeks have passed since we learned the devestating news. 

The cancer is terminal they said, you freeze and say WHAT. This is news coming from a family member so can you imagine hearing this about yourself from the consultant. 

Still hasn't sunk in. Will it ever, maybe eventually or maybe not. 

Take it day by day they say, let it sink in. Still hasn't sunk in for me , as much as I try. Haven't told the grandchildren, who are 11 and 8. Any advice on how to approach this is welcomed if anyone has any ideas. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi..

My 40 year old son was diagnosed with terminal oesophagus and stomach cancer last month...4 months after his only brother had a heart attack from which he has recovered really well.

In both these cases we have discussed openly everything with the grandchildren who range in age from 9to 21. We are a strong and loving family and we have found that by being open and honest with the children it seems to take away their fears. We try to do as many fun things together as we can when the chemo effects are not too bad..it's our only option as we don't want to spend this precious time waiting for him to die..

We have started memory boxes for the children and they love putting in pebbles form the beach, leaves from the countryside, photos and anything else they collect on our days out to help them remember their dad when he is gone.

My heart goes out to you because I know how hard this is for you, but you truly are not alone.