My first chemo session - 26th August 2016

1 minute read time.

Well I didn't expect this!  

I had a raised CA125 reading last year accompanied by some pelvic discomfort. After a CT scan and assorted pelvic investigations, I was sent away with a diagnosis of - yes, you've guessed it, IBS. Now I was happy with  that as it is manageable, but I was not certain it was entirely accurate. This year I found a lump under my ribs on the left which has finally been diagnosed (after speculation that it might be of Colorectal origin) as Primary Peritoneal Cancer of Ovarian origin - it's a stage 3c high grade tumour.  I'm slightly stunned by this unexpected turn of events, but determined to stay positive. 

I have just started receiving chemotherapy - the standard Carboplatin and Taxol.  Unfortunately I was unable to join the trial which also included Avastin as I have a another tumour which may be bothering my sigmoid colon.  

So today I find myself in the Chemotherapy ward having this potentially unpleasant treatment administered by the most efficient, friendly, caring and humourous set of professionals you could ever hope to meet.  My extraordinary husband stayed with me for the first half of the day and then my youngest daughter joined me (she had to come some distance on a train and a bus and got a little bit lost, but I was able to guide her in due to the wonders of modern technology!). They made all the difference!

This is not how I expected to spend the second year of my retirement - I have so many things left to do in my life but I know it will help having my fantastic family around me - I keep a photo with me so they are there too!

I'm not over-keen on the possible destination of this journey, so I am determined to enjoy it while I can and make as many detours on the way. I'll add to the blog when I can, 

Oh and I've signed up for Brave the Shave - it's going to go anyway so I decided to get rid of it this Thursday and have already raised some money for the wonderful Macmillan. Good luck to all x

Anonymous