There was this man..............

3 minute read time.

So yesterday we arrive at the Chemotherapy clinic at 10.30 for out 11.00 appointment and take a seat in a very hot, over crowded waiting room................. notice near Nurses Station announces that our Consultant is running an hour late.................. so We sit and wait........... one poorly man didn't cope very well so he was carted off by the nurses to somewhere more suitable for his condition at that time and so we waited............ people were greeting each other like old friends asking how things were going.................... the crowd began to thin out and people began to chat amongst themselves more ............... the notice at the front changes to our Consultant now running 1.5 hours late............... so we sit.  Two couples close by begin to talk and here, in the midst of people's silent worries and battles came two stories of hope...............................

The wives were the instigators..................... how long has your husband had cancer?  First lady says oh well in November he had a huge lump come up on his head.  We went to A&E and they said oh it might be cancer.  Rushed an appointment with Oncology and they said we will remove it.  Had an op day after and they thought they had got it all and nothing to worry about.  So we went home and thought that was a close shave.  He got a temperature and we ended up in A&E.  Tested things and then said he did have cancer and in 3 days we went from we thing we have it all to sorry its cancer stage 4 and terminal, you have three months roughly.  She said we came out of the hospital and we were in complete shock, like what just happened????  We went home and we talked about what had been said and we said No no no

The husband starts then and says well I decided I hadn't lived enough so I was damned if they were going to tell me three months left so I said I wanted treatment, the put me on a trial and they cannot believe whats happening.  I was told three months tops in December and here I am, no ill effects, feeling really well, enjoying life and coming in here for treatments which takes a whole day up.

Well lets hope the drugs keep on working the other couple say.  Then the question raises its head as to whats wrong with the guy from the other couple.

Oh says the wife, a month ago he went for a routine check up and they discovered he has a tumor in his chest.  So they are feeling lucky because its been caught early, is being treated and they were optimistic about the future.  She said we just reeled.  One minute we are going in for routine check up and we come out after being told he has a cancer in his chest, our whole world upside down but we are getting ion with it and hopefully he will be ok but we are so pleased that he had the routine check up otherwise we would not have known it was there.

Both men are responding to their treatments and I suppose I just wanted to share that things are not all doom and gloom, people do survive cancer but their attitudes were of determination, optimism and resolve not defeat or gloom.  We felt uplifted too and then finally, after almost 2.5 hours of sitting, we had a good consultation with good PSA results so came out feeling very positive about the future.  We know Dad will not be cured but he remains stable so the drugs are controlling whats happening.

I wanted to share the hopes and the actual events that brought these two couples not only together to chat but with good, happy, hopeful stories and both were really upbeat about their journey's.

If you can, Smile and defy cancer!!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

What a brilliantly uplifting story. The world turns upside down when you hear the dreaded word cancer and clawing your way back to find the strength to get through it isn't easy...in fact I am still at the stage where I haven't found that strength but your story has certainly given me a little push in the right direction.  Thank you so much for sharing :)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

A lovely story, thank you so much for posting.  A positive attitude is one of my weapons but of course there are times when it seems to have run off and deserted you.  The trick for me is to put my boots on and go for a walk in the lovely Yorkshire hills and I normally find it about 30 minutes in.  Thank goodness we live in a world where there are good treatments being introduced or on trial.  Stage 4 is scary but less scary than it used to be I'm sure.

All the best to your Dad, you and your family.

Shirley xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have just read the lovely story, and I agree that there is always something positive. I am a half full person - call me Polyanna! I keep saying to my hubby that this is a fight we must win. His condition has deteriorated but with the right pain relief I hope that we can have some quality time left. He is in hospital just now but hopefully home next week. Keep smiling!

• Thank you all for your lovely comments.  I wrote a piece once that I posted on the carers forum after I'd looked after my friend on her final journey in which I listed a whole range of positives about cancer at a time when many of my 'fellow carers' at that time were coming to the end of their various journey's and morale was very low on the site.  I will see if I can locate it on my old computer as its will give you pause for thought  when things seem hard and the going is tough.  

We all know that the cancer journey is a rollercoast of highs and lows, drama and plodding, watching and waiting, hoping and praying but it also brings things out in us we didn't know we were capable of or strong enough to deal with and yet somehow we do.  Non of us chooses to be on this path with our loved ones but equally we don't have to allow cancer to dictate to us.  Its there and there is no escaping it but being able to learn to live along side it and not allow it to dominate is always a good way to deal with it.  Make the most of the good days and make memories as often as you can.  

We used humor to get us through the journey with my friend who was terminal from diagnosis.  They gave her 4 to 6 months, we walked for 11 months and we laughed lots.  Of course it wasn't that easy, there were two bouts of pneumonia along the way when she was really poorly, a run in with the staff on her ward accusing her of being a recovering alcoholic and banning her from leaving the ward just because she said 'I have lived, worked and played hard. lived three lives in one! I even tried to be an alcoholic in the 70s but I wasn't very good at that so I gave it up'  How that was translated into a recovering alcoholic is beyond me but it was by this nurse so there was a whole drama about that!!  Somehow never a dull moment with my friend but I look back with admiration at her determination to make the most of the time she had left as quality over quantity so refused all treatments except antibiotics for the pneumonia.

Dad's journey is different of course. I cannot banter with him in the same way but I am able to get him to listen which is something of a feat!  Mum is struggling and is on antidepressants bless her but we are all rallying around them both.  He was refusing to take his paracetemol as he said he was not in any pain but the consultant and his MacMillan nurse had said he needed to take them 4 times a day to get them into his system and not wait for the pain (prostate cancer with bone mets) so Mum was getting herself upset as he was not doing what the Consultant had said so on a trip down on Mums birthday, I said to him that he needs to take the paracetamol and get it into his system as he has been told to do so he is pain free.  I said if he doesn't and the pain comes badly he could find himself on stronger medication and be out of it (bit of a possible white lie but worth it for Mum!)  I then left the room to go to the loo but on coming back in I put my arm around him and said we are not really nagging you, we love you and want whats best for you to be comfortable. (He never admits to pain but you can see it in his movements and facial expressions sometimes as he grimaces)  He laughed and said he knows.

When I arrived for his Oncology appointment on Sunday (for Monday) I said after normal hellos etc 'so Dad, the burning question of the week, have you been taking your paracetemol?' so he said 'Yes' and Mum added 'and without complaint!'  so I said 'Good and do you feel better for it'  He conceded that yes, he did.  Thats what I call a result!!  

He is 82 and finding losing his ability to function fully now but the weekend before last he did a bible reading and a talk at my nephews wedding before they cut the cake and I had, for those 5 or 6 minutes a glimpse of my old Dad in his element.  I recorded his speech and know its something we will all treasure.  He was a lay preacher in his time and is a very devout Christian.  He says his life is in the hands of the Lord and his Oncologist so what will be will be.  He is such a peaceful man.

Its hard seeing him becoming frail but we also know that we have been lucky to be reaching the ages we are and they are and still to be able to acknowledge how lucky we are to have both parents with us still.  Very lucky indeed. 

They say count your blessings everyday, well I count mine twice!!!  Keep smiling people and keep the hope burning in your hearts as you walk this road.  Remember you are not alone and use the forums to get your support.