Newbie son supporting fabulous father

1 minute read time.

Hello all three and a half of you!

I'm in that slightly surreal stage of being told my fit and healthy dad has 2 months to live. He's only been ill for 5 weeks. I know the NHS is speeding things up to unblock beds and get through backlogs; I would have hoped for slightly more time to convey everything that's just landed, like Tim Peake from a thousand miles above, on my shoulders.

There are simply too many things to try and wrap my head around. The Macmillan nurses are at dad's house tomorrow to make sure his morphine is covering the pain. The 3 kids are covering the overnights and practicalities. These have expanded from making sure the bedding's fresh and hoovering to, "Has he eaten today?"

I'm a Deputy Head in a secondary school in special measures and Ofsted are in tomorrow. I really am struggling with karma at the moment so it's probably a good job I'm Catholic; it is definitely pouring not raining.

Dad says, "Don't bloody sit there watching me, watch TV. Get into that school and show 'em how good you are." I know that my fabulous 'family' at school will help, but bloomin' OFSTED are in.

I will adhere to my dad's request. I'll give them hell but have appreciated venting. Thanks.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Secondly,

My dad's dying. I can't apply an internal censor to this. I have to be honest with all of you anonymous people....it will help me to be honest with myself in the end I reckon.

No 'product-placement' but Macmillan have been brilliant and they haven't even been to dad's house yet! It's the reassurance and plain old care that has characterised them thus far. It instils confidence in people who don't know what the hell they're doing!

• Hi, welcome to the community, though we are always sorry to see new members join our ranks.

I am vice-chair of governors in a primary school, so have some appreciation of the "effect" an ofsted inspection has and to have that on top of the news about your dad I find difficult to imagine. You will cope - your dad brought you up to be be big and strong - you had to be to become deputy head - bet he was so proud when you got the appointment. when you became a teacher, all those moments in life when he was telling all his friends all about you.

You don't say what kind of cancer he has, there are a number that get referred to as silent killers because although we live with them for some time its only very towards the end they give us a problem and we go to the doctor. 

There is some advice on the main site about what you might like to think about now, see here.

Things are never easy, real life keeps getting in the way.

Fingers crossed for the inspection.

<<hugs>>

Steve