Promises that we cannot keep

2 minute read time.

She waved at the nurses as we were welcomed into the building and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Mum was rapidly deteriorating from secondary cancer and associated lymphangitis and we had been through the weekend from hell.

Six weeks prior she was told there was nothing more that could be done. We immediately tackled the 'hard stuff': resuscitation, end of life, funeral arrangements. That's who she was - Mrs Organised, a woman who got things done. Mum and I had some brilliant chats. There were lots of laughs and buckets of tears. I took the chance to tell her how much I loved her and how special she was. 

I promised to look after her and help her to die at home. How naive. And yet so many of us do it without truly realising what this promise involves. After 3 weeks of sharing the overnight care of mum with my aunt and my stepfather I knew that we just weren't coping. Mums breathing was increasingly laboured and she often gasped for breath, panicking as she did so. In our final weekend at home I listened from the neighbouring bed as she struggled and groaned. The trips to the commode became the equivalent of running a marathon as her lungs refused to perform. The on call doctor could do very little and we felt lost and helpless.

In just 6 weeks my vibrant, fun, busy, animated mum had become a frail and exhausted woman for whom standing up from bed was an effort of monumental proportions. 

We owe a debt of gratitude to the district nurse who suggested the hospice. We didn't want to make mum do anything that she didn't want to but to our amazement she gasped that she would like to go. She gave a frail but fulsome thumbs-up when we told her she had a bed there. And the smile that had all but gone from her mouth came back as the paramedics wheeled her out of the ambulance and into the hospice. Then I knew we had made the right decision.

From the warm smile of the nurse who welcomed us to the calm surroundings, our experience of the hospice has been a triumph of care and compassion for mum and the whole family. Looking back, I don't know how we even considered the idea that we could cope with such monumental responsibility of easing mum into the end of her life. We make these promises to loved ones without appreciating the repercussions. If I had my time again, I would make different choices. 

As it stands, she is comfortable and peaceful. She is being given outstanding care and we are being swept up in the collective compassion as nurses check how we are, feed us and make up our beds to sleep alongside. 

She is going to die. And very soon. But thanks to the hospice she's at peace. And so am I.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Claire, you are the woman you are

today because of your mum. Your wit, strength, passion and humour are her gift to you. She will forever have a special place in my heart and many others too. Simply wonderful. XXX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Claire,

I am so sorry to that your dear mum has had to suffer so much. You sound like a very strong woman & the love you have for your mother will live on in your heart forever.

How courageous is your mum to make funeral arrangements,I take my hat off to her.

My husband is nearing the end of his life so I have great empathy with you & what you are going through. He wants to die at home,after reading what you have said maybe he too will have to go to hospice. Our nurse that comes to our home is wonderful, kind compassionate what would we do with out them. These days cancer is every where so many people & families have to go through this agony, why? only heaven knows. Keep smiling! Elizabeth xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, we have a wonderful mutual friend in Stella and she kindly shared this blog with me. I, like you, went through this painful journey just 6 months ago with my Dad dying on Christmas Eve. It's something you would never choose but they can turn out to be some of the most precious times of your life in an odd way.

I loved reading about the chats and laughs you have had with your Mum, sadly my Dad really struggled to talk about what was coming and any arrangements, however I took comfort in knowing this was his way and funnily enough you cannot change that despite the harsh circumstances.

I'm not sure there is any advice for this next bit of your journey other than be kind to yourself, its hard to make the decisions and try to do the right thing all of the time, the hospice will be a wonderful support for you all. At this point with my dad I just liked to hold his hand, and every so often tell him how much I loved him, how we would all be ok, for him not to be frightened and to go when he was ready. I frequently left the room to give him a chance to go without me or any of us there as I have heard that's how some people like to go, however that was not the case and he died with me holding his hand. I guess that was one choice he wanted to make and decide on.

I feel so awful for you and it takes me right back to that time with my Dad, if you need anything at all then please reach out. Will be thinking of you xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you so much for the kind words of support. My beautiful and much loved Mum passed away with peace and dignity this morning.

Elizabeth I hope you and your husband are able to make the most of this precious time and that he's not suffering.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

So so sorry for your loss x