My husband has just been diagnosed what do I do now?

Less than one minute read time.

HI I am new here my husband has just been diagnosed with Lymphoma. At this moment in time he needs more tests as the do not know for sure if he has hodgkins or non hodgkins, he will need chemo but he has a little wait to see what type and for how long but I know head.  Guess I am scared what to expect at this stage worried about finances as he is a chef and may not be able to work during treatment

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello

Im going to be totally honest. The worst part is the waiting n not knowing. Once treatment starts it is easier to accept.

Ive finished my treatment and waiting to learn the results of my PET scan and again it's the waiting that really gets you Dow.

The chemo I had was RCHOP and I too lost all my hair within 5 weeks of 1st chemo and immediately the whole world could see I was a Cancer Victim but most of the time folk are very understanding n are more polite and helpful towards you.

Good luck to you all Jean x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, the person above is correct that the waiting and not knowing is bad but the treatment may change your husband, his appearance, attitude and he may become a different person for a while and this can be scary for you but it is only temp! The treatment takes everything out of you but you've got to remember he's still there he's just trying to win this battle so be patient, be there, don't nag if he can't eat, find someone to talk to to share your fears and worries to, if he wants to talk just listen, when he's feeling ok encourage him to go for a walk or come the shops but make sure he has plenty of places to sit and rest and go out on quiet days.

If he is unable to work during treatment don't worry, you can claim housing benefits, council tax, and benefits to help - I did and I was being paid from work, a reduced wage, but I got help. He can also claim a benefit called PIP it use to be DLA, this is based on his condition not how much he earns or if he works or not this is not asked - I still claim this and I'm back at work full time. Speak to his work and explain what has happened and see what they say, will they pay him sick pay whilst he's off work? Get as much information as you can and then go to the council office and discuss with them, you need to know if he will be paid or not - if he will get a full wage he won't be entitled but it's best to get your ducks in a row now....

Also have someone to help you with his care and just someone to help take him to appointments or take you food shopping so you can both have a breather from each other as you'll need it as this is going to be the most intense and stressful time ever and there is always the what ifs and not knowing what is next but having things prepared takes a strain off you and allows you to free up one less thing.

I hope it's good news for you and good luck with the battle xx