Diagnosed

5 minute read time.

So, it all began about 3 years ago now. I was working in a clothes shop and I felt the need to go to the toilet so I went and I noticed that my nickers were wet as if I'd wet myself, concerned I kept an eye on it and it happened again so I went to the shop and brought some sanitary towels to wear to catch the 'water'. Little did I know this was the start, this kept happening over a number of days then suddenly stopped.

It was a couple of weeks later it happened again but this time it was a discharge and it was thick and began to smell so again I would wear pads and change them regularly. This carried on and the discharge became worse and would smell horrible! I showered twice a day but I couldn't explain it! I was too embarrassed to go to the doctor so I dealt with it the only way a knew. I thought it would get better but it only got worse...thinking about it now the signs were there bleeding after intercourse but I thought it was just my period coming. As I had polysistic ovaries I didn't have a period regularly so thought this is what it was.

It was about a year later the pain started horrible pain like intense period pain....at this point the discharge had been on going for about a year. I still wasn't ready to face facts and would take pain killers to deal with the pain. One day at work I was in immense pain (double over pain) and I thought I was getting my period and I stood up to go to the loo and I felt something drop out of me so I went to the toilet to check.....this was the start of the worst 2 hours of my life! I had bled not just bled but I had a huge blood clot come out of me, I sat on the toilet and began to clean myself up but the blood and clots were coming out of me as if I was weeing! I only had a 15 minute break and I was due back but had run out of pads so had to run to tesco which is next to my work and I bright huge pads (like the ones you have after a baby) and a new pair of jeans as I had flooded and was covered in blood (this was 5 minutes after leaving the toilet at work) I then went to the toilet in tesco to clean myself up again and again it happened the blood and clots like before. 30 minutes after being on my break I went back work and apologised for being late. I thought that was it until I went on my dinner again I stood up and the dropping of something and again I went to the toilet. Only this time the bleeding and clots wouldn't stop, I was covered in blood my jeans were soaked down to my knees in blood and I couldn't control it 20 minutes later feeling very weak I asked to go home and burst out crying. As I lived in a pub I phoned my friend to explain I was coming home I got home and got straight in the shower and then the bleeding stopped as quickly as it had begun! I lay on the sofa with no energy and cried and cried until I fell asleep. The discharge came back and I had no bleeding again for a year.

At this point the pain was unbearable I was popping pain killers like candy 12+ high strength painkillers were taken and a hot water bottle was permanently attached to me. Then the bleeding began again in October 2014, I would have extreme pain then I would bleed like o had before for 20-30 minutes then nothing and the same again the next day and so on. Every now and then I would feel as though I was carrying a weight inside of me and I would feel it jiggling and I would wonder what it was.....things became so bad I couldn't take it anymore so I booked myself in for a smear (1st one at 27!), it took two nurses and a doctor and they couldn't do it as I began to bleed really heavily. Iwas traumatised   and still am today I cry if they want to examine me now - as I had had a routine blood test I went home and cried.

Later that night I had a knock on the door, living alone I wasn't answering, then I had a note posted through it was an ambulance that had called so I called the number to see what was up, I was severely annemic and needed a blood transfusion that night. Thinking  that they were wrong I casually went to doctors the next day and I was told my blood count was so low I needed a transfusion otherwise they couldn't help me...so I asked my sister to come to the hospital with me and I was examined again and it was mentioned that I had cancer as I had a large tumour but I needed a biopsy to confirm this. We cried, but at that point I was determined what ever it was it wasn't beating me.

I stayed in hospital and had my transfusion, 4 pints of blood, and then I had my biopsy and had to wait for scans which never happened (don't ask!). I was then finally told on 4th March the news that I had advanced cervical cancer, my sister was with me and she broke down crying and screaming and had to leave the room me? I didn't react just said ok, what next. I phoned my closest friends who all began to cry then I went to see my Nan and grandad and mum to tell them the news....this was the beginning of my journey

Anonymous
  • Hi, I couldn't just read this and click the like button, that would be rude!

Thank you for writing so openly about how it all started for you, and what you were thinking and feeling.

How are you now?

Big Hug.

Mary.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you, I thought I would share my experience with this evil thing. I will be noting my journey and my feeling and I will be brutally honest as a lot of the time people sugar coat things and it's not fair on people, yes it may cause fear for someone starting the battle but at least they know what could happen.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I am a lot better than I was last year I still have my ups and downs but I'm getting there x