When will it end!

Less than one minute read time.

Dad's finished radiotherapy + chemotherapy 2 weeks ago. Mouth still sore and throat cant eat anything. Has been on the meal shakes for over a mouth and has recently lost a stone. Going to the doctors on Tuesday but have got a feeling he will need a feeding tube because he's loosing weight.. Wish I could do something to help! Does anyone know how long it will take for mouth/throat to heal? He had radiotherapy to his neck.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi sunisshining,

Only just replied to your other message and then spotted this one....

There is a very active Head and Neck Group (link) you should join - there are lots of posts about eating problems from radiotherapy you can search for which may be of help.

Once you join the group do select New Discussion and copy your above text in as an introduction, you will soon get some replies as this is a very common problem for head and neck patients.

Macmillan also produce this booklet Managing The Late Effects of Head and Neck Cancer Treatments (link) which you can read online and/or also download for future reference - Eating and drinking problems start on page 30.

The lovely regular members of the head and neck group will be able to help you with the 'how long' question as some would have had this to overcome.

Best wishes to you both, G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you for your help. I've joined the group and posted. I'm just going to read the booklet hope fully I can tell my dad there's light at the end of the tunnel for him.