Call it luck!

2 minute read time.

Just over 7 years ago, I was doing the weekly shop in one of our local supermarkets when I thought let's buy some snacks. So after perusing the choices I settled for quite a large bag of dry roasted peanuts. Anyway that evening I was feeling peckish so opened the nuts, and of course I shamefully ate the whole bag.

Then at about 4 or 5 am the following morning I had the most excruciating pains in my stomach, so much so I was admitted to hospital. After a few hours the pain had subsided and the consultant who was going to order a CT scan decided it wasn't serious as the pain had now subsided and I was discharged.

Move forward until later in the summer and I did it again, I had another bag of nuts. then a few hours later I was in excruciating pain. This time though I waited until the pain had passed, then in the morning made an appointment to see my GP. I explained my symptoms and she examined my abdomen. I was then sent for a CT scan, but during this time I made the association between eating nuts and the pains. 

Anyway a fortnight later I went back for the results of the scan, and as I said I think it's the nuts, she said sit down I have something to tell you. I was then told the scan had detected a mass in my abdomen which they thought was lymphoma, at which point I thought the bottom had fallen out of my world.

Apparently the tumour had inflamed the small bowel to the point that when something hard like nuts passed through, it caused the pain.

I was eventually diagnosed with stage one Non Hodgkins Follicular Lymphoma and 6 months of chemotherapy followed which thankfully sent it into remission.

Fast forward just over two years, and I'm at work just feeling a little bit off colour. So what do I do, I go to the local shop on the way home and buy, yes you guessed a bag of dry roasted nuts, and ate them during the evening. By 3 am I was back in hospital with excruciating stomach pains, the CT scan the following morning showed the lymphoma was back with a vengeance.

Another round of stronger chemo followed and then I was given Rituximab maintenance therapy for the next two years, and for now I remain in remission.

Over the years I have been asked by consultants and doctors alike how I discovered I'd got Lymphoma and how I knew it had relapsed. The expressions on their faces have been incredulous when I've told them. So I am forever grateful for the humble peanut, because without it I most probably wouldn't still be here. It just goes to show, never ignore anything!!

Finally, I always have a bag handy for any future 'off' days.

Anonymous