Is this potential Vagina Cancer???

1 minute read time.

Hi, I had emergency surgery on the 16/02/16 to remove a 'mass/lesion' from the posterior wall soft tissue. This was not an external growing mass but internal within tissue and protruding due to increasing size. The location is lower third of my vagina.  

The lump was hard, unmovable and apparently 'tethered?' and not painful although sitting down was causing a problem due to the pressure on surrounding areas.

I had an urgent referral from GP to Emergency at Hop. I seemed to go up the ladder very fast as saw 2 gynaecology Dr's who did not know what it was.  The more senior of the two then referred me same afternoon to the Consultant.  He saw the 'mass' the and literally he listed me for emergency surgery the following day.  He did not biopsy the mass prior to surgery as he was unable to insert a needle as i believe too dense.  He said there there was internal blood surrounding the 'mass/lesion' in other words it had been drawing on a blood supply to promote its growth.  The lump came up and enlarged very fast, literally within 4 weeks it went from nothing noticeable to 2".  He appeared to think it was quite rare.

By the way they ruled out cysts, Bartolins, Gartners and Skenes. 

The surgeon did a complete excision of the 'mass/lesion'.

I am wondering if anybody can help me on here as i still haven't had the pathology results back yet. It seems to be taking an extraordinary amount of time to get the results.  I have called the Consultants secretary and waiting for a call from her tomorrow.  In the meantime i really need to know what i am potentially dealing with here and feel in the dark completely. So far i am on working day 12 from surgery or two weeks and 2 days post op. 

Is the length of time it takes for results reassuring or the opposite? Surely prelim initial path results come back quickly, within 3 days?? If all clear they tell you sooner, don't they?  If more conclusive testing this takes longer?

I am pretty much resigned to worst case scenarios here and feel able to face a bad result whilst at the same time i am eternally optimistic for a good one! :-) 

Anybody help?

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Hansel,

I've only just picked up on your blog. It sounds like you have been through a very worrying time. Did you hear back from the consultant as the secretary promised? Are you any further forward with understanding what this mass might be? In my experience, no news is good news but that doesn't help when it is you who is waiting for the news. 

I'm one of the community champions and I help to signpost people like yourself to the best place to get some support from the Macmillan Community. Maybe you saw we have lots of different groups for people going through different experiences or with different types of cancer. In the absence of any firm information about what your results showed, it is hard for me to know how to help you more. So I am going to take a risk and suggest that if this lump was cancer, you might think about going over to look at join the vaginal cancer group? I do hope that the results came back clear - and that you are now on the road to recovery. If not, I hope this points you in the right direction. 

All the best

Daloni

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Daloni

Thank you for your email. I am afraid i still have not heard back so i can only imagine that its all good news. I have heard that if its bad they tell you very quickly.

I will certainly pop over to the group you suggest.

Thank you for your support.