breast cancer

Less than one minute read time.

hia my name is wendy and was diagnosed with breast cancer 28 th jan  had a full mastectomy 9 th feb  

i have one of the tubes still in and all stiches 

i feel like a freak and i don't like myself and crying all the time   is this normal to feel like this 

my mother had this 20 years ago and she was a very strong person  but sadly  we lost her in october this was very hard for me

and then finding out i got breast cancer i am  a strong person  but at this time in my life i feel weak i feel lonely but i have  a lot of family and friends  that care for me and will do anything for me but i feel like  that i am  inposing on them i am feeling really negative at the moment 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Of course your crying darling you have been the brave one this time and have had to fight for your life so a little bit of crying is probably a release for your built up feeling. One time I got upset about something my partner said and I was in hospital so it was bad I started crying and could not stop ,I'm pale and when I cry my eyes Puff up and go ted so I cried and cried for days till I could hardly see and everyone was staring at me. That was the most honest and heartfelt cry I had. Xxx best wishes and happiness Xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Morning Wattley,

Sorry to see you having to join this particular club, but welcome to a great place to find yourself at a tough time.

What you are feeling is totally normal, feeling a bit low for a week or so post surgery as feeling down is a side effect of the annaesthetic, coupled with the trauma you have just been through.

Everyone tries to be very understanding but unless you have first hand knowledge of cancer it can easily seem like you are on your own.  Please don't feel you are a burden asking for help, it will raise the spirits of your friends and family to feel like they are doing something useful for you in your time of needing support - even if it is just ironing and hoovering for a couple of weeks while you heal further.

Do hop over the fence and come and join us all in the very active Breast Group (link) it will help you to share this trip into the unknown with those who are now going though or have already had breast cancer treatment.

Wishing you a speedy hassle free recovery and good luck wishes for the results from your pathology report which must be nearly due by now.  That will be when you find out what other treatments may be offered and you will know what lies in store next.

Take care, G n' J  (breast group)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Wendy, what you are feeling is perfectly normal and every member of this group will have felt like it one time or another. No matter how much support and love you have from family and friends it you whose going through this life changing experience. It is a very isolating time I struggled for ages, not wanting to upset my family, being brave, like a swan calm on the surface but frantically paddling underneath. The damn burst when I made an appointment with the BCNs and started to open up to this complete stranger, l cried for over an hour but boy did I feel better after. We are all different and the desolation hits us all at different times but I promise you it does get better. It is a very shattering confusing and difficult experience if it helps scream and cry all you want and accept all the help the BCNs offer. And yes join the group it does help.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment