Part Two: lumpy served his eviction notice

3 minute read time.

After we'd discussed the options open to us we waited for the next appointment letter but instead we received Lumpy's eviction notice aka surgery day.  It was scheduled for 06/10/15 at 12.00 noon.  So only had five weeks to wait.  In the meantime, Lumpy went into overdrive.  He bled without any interference, the pain was just getting unbearable and the itching drove me potty.  Life was quite difficult at work and i had to keep going to the locker rooms to clean up.  I was starting to lose my temper a lot at work because of all the pain and inevitable questions.  It was all affecting me much more than i realised and of course i was worrying a lot.  Then i started researching surgical techniques and that just scared me even more.  But i did look for recovery tips and hints which have helped.

Three days before my surgery i started getting a cold, so went home from work and shoved a half bottle of First Defence liquid up my nose and it stopped the virus in it's tracks so the surgery was still going ahead.

On the day of the surgery, our car broke down and we had to get all the way over to Stoke Mandeville.  Luckily, my wonderful brother in law was off work and took us over to the hospital.  We checked in and then the long wait began.  They tell you to get to the department for 12.00 but that's not your surgery time.  There where four of us ladies sat waiting.  We went through and had our pre-op checks, got changed into sexy gowns and stockings and sat waiting and waiting.  About 4 ish i was taken up for surgery after saying TTFN to my wonderful Hubby.  I was wheeled into the anaesthetics room and chatted with the consultant and head nurse. I remember telling him to just do what he thought was best as i trusted him.  Then the nurse told me to breathe deeply into oxygen mask and i was asleep.

Next thing i knew i was listening to some burly bloke across from me in the resus room crying his eyes out because he'd had an op on his toe and it hurt. The first thing i did once i'd stopped laughing at him was feel my head.  I was expecting it all to be shaved and covered in dressings.  There was one large pad stapled firmly to my head and a large padded dressing on my right thigh.  All i wanted was food and drink and the nurse was great, she got me tea, apple juice, water, banana, sandwiches and a yoghurt.  I couldn't shove them down soon enough.  Meanwhile, Toe Man was still crying.  I managed to text my husband that i was ok and which ward i was going up to.  He met me up on the ward and was relieved to see me.  I was desperate for a pee.  So i went to the toilet and peed for ages.  I decided i was going home as everything had gone well, i was well, blood pressure was fine and i'd eaten.  It was about 8.00pm ish.  I told the nurse i was well and would like to go home.  We waited and waited and the doctor finally faxed a TTO script for some prophylaxis antibiotics and i was discharged.  I was given no pain relief, no dressings and no aftercare advice.  I did think that was very bad as at our hospital we give everything out on TTO prescriptions especially for patients who'd been through such a procedure.  Obviously at Stoke Mandeville they just expect you to deal with it yourself.  Luckily, i had medications as being in pharmacy we do tend to hoarde such things.

I couldn't wait to get into my own massive, clean, quiet comfy bed.  It was lovely.  I didn't sleep well as i do get a bit weird after major surgery.  Hubby stayed off work with me for a few days and looked after me.

The wound on my head was about the size of a large commemorative coin.  And was very deep.  It hurt but was manageable but the donor site on my thigh began REALLY hurting.......

Part Three coming soon

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well done for seeing the funny side of hospital admissions for surgery etc.! I had to wait around for some time, and then my 2 daughters who were waiting, could not get news of me, as I was in the theatre longer than expected, and then in recovery.

Eventually they found me in intensive care, and all I can remember of them then is seeing their faces while groggily trying to get some moisture through my parched lips!

About 5 days later, I reached home for a decent rest. Hospitals are very noisy places.