Neck Cancer

2 minute read time.

Hi I am a 52 man, & I was diagnosed with neck Cancer in April 2015 after an operation to remove my left tonsil it was found that the cancer in my tonsil had also spread to two Lymph Nodes in my neck. My treatment started at the beginning of June & lasted six weeks which consisted of 30 Radiation treatments & 6 Chemo treatments using Cisplatin, I opted not to have the feeding tube as I thought that after having the tonsil removed I could stand the discomfort of the Radiation & Chemo procedure. the first three weeks of treatment were not too bad & I was still able go to work, the beginning of week four things dramatically changed, until this point all I had suffered so far was loss of taste. I now started to feel fatigued all the time, swallowing water and solid food was getting more painful. so I now started using high calorie powder drinks & shakes as given to me by the hospital, these all tasted foul (almost vomit like in taste) despite the five different flavours offered, it would take me three or four hours to be able to drink one half pint measure of which I had to to do at least four a day to achieve a 1800 calorie intake. This did not happen because of the extremely foul taste that the treatment was causing, I was only managing one to two a day, along with some water. From the last week of treatment to the following two weeks of post treatment I lost 40lbs going from 12st 7lb (when treatment started) to 9st 8lb. It is now 7 months since the treatment ended (I am now 11st) and I cannot taste much at all. There are peaks and trough days, one day I can taste something and the next day I can try exactly the same thing and nothing at all, it’s so fruststrating, also alot of foods burn my throat like tomotoe sauce and give me head sweats (does anybody suffer head sweats when eating some foods?) but I’m getting used to it as a way of life now. I was told by the hospital that it would take at least a couple of years from the end of treatment before things would be as good as they were ever going to get, so hopefully over the next 18 months things will improve. At least I am in the clear right now and I am grateful for that, and it's good to be alive & well, but it would be also great to be able to eat bread and chew meat again and enjoy the taste. (I so miss a burger or a fish finger sandwich!) I will never take taste for granted again if it ever comes back, even 50% of what I had before treatment would be fantastic. Anyway moaning over now, good luck to you all & best wishes.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Streetbob.  Have you found the Head & Neck Group on the site yet?  Do come and join us all.  Margaret x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Streetbob,

You might find it helpful to join our Head and neck cancer group which you can join and post in. Once you've joined the group, you can click 'new discussion' and post in the group. Then members will be able to respond to you.

What you've done here is create a blog, which is more like a regular update of your story through cancer. Please get in contact with us at community@macmillan.org.uk if you need some more help.

All the best,

Jess

Macmillan Community Team

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Streetbob. We could practically be twins!! Everything you said is happening to you is happening to me!  I had 30 sessions of RT which ended on 16th December 2015.  I had a NG tube fitted on the last day of my treatment but couldn't cope with it so had it removed after 6 days.  I am now having to live off up to 6 bottles of Ensure drinks per day which I am just about managing.  I was 12 stone prior to treatment and am now about 10 stone and feal the fatigue really badly.  I have no taste and even though I try to eat bits and pieces, everything tastes disgusting - if you can call it taste!!! This is my second time around as I had my tonsils removed approx. 3 years ago along with a tumour which was lurking behind one of them.  I lost my taste on that occasion too and the metallic taste in my mouth was horrendous.  However, after that treatment I returned to work as a car transporter driver and thought all was well until early in 2015 following a biopsy they found another bleeder which had appeared in another part of my throat\tongue.  This time we have gone down the radiotherapy route and I have an appointment with my Consultant on 2nd February to see what has happened - fingers crossed it has done the trick!!! It's good to read all the posts as you can really gain some form of hope when you read other people's journeys.  Chin up mate - look to the future and get on the head and neck group where there are some great posts.