Worried Wife

1 minute read time.

In May 2014, my husband underwent the Ivor Lewis Procedure to remove part of his oesophagus after having Barrett's Oesophogus for a few years. Laser treatment had been previously tried but was unsuccessful in getting rid of the pre-cancerous 'nodes'  

By April 2015, my husband had still not recovered from the operation; was continuing to lose weight, breathless and generally feeling awful. A scan showed that lymphoma had returned (after some 32 years!). He has been having intensive chemotherapy for three months and the most recent scan has shown that the tumour is shrinking, which is excellent news, although he now needs to have another three months of treatment. 

However, since having the operation, my husband has gone from being a well-built man who was working part-time and golfing to being well underweight, breathless most of the time(on oxygen), dizzy, does not feel like eating at all, can hardly walk and only gets out when taken in a wheelchair ( and even then it is mostly to the hospital as it is a real struggle for him). He also sleeps a lot. 

The oncologist has said that it is not the lymphoma which is causing all these symptoms but is at a loss to explain what is; he says that my husband's case is unique!  

I would, therefore, be very grateful and thankful for any advice/help/information from anyone who has had a similar experience. 

My husband has suffered a lot over the past eighteen months and has taken all that he has gone through without complaining; he is a real fighter. I just want him to feel better so that we can have some sort of life together to enjoy our two young grandsons. 

Anonymous