Life during Radiotherapy for breast cancer

Less than one minute read time.

I have now completed 4 sessions of Radiotherapy at St James in Leeds. What a Unit and what amazing staff. The first session was obviously daunting but the initial consultation was very reassuring. I was reassured about the relaxation on certain products for showering. I had already chosen chemical free and very kind shower gels and shampoo. Also a friend makes her own skin cream which is so pure and has been lovely to apply on my scar. 

What has really helped is my volunteer drivers to Leeds. Close friends have rallied round and we make the best of the day having liesurely lunches and quality time together. Makes it all bearable. 

Yesterday Saturday I hit a wall of tiredness on my day off. I had been warned that this could happen but did not expect it just yet. But I paced myself and had a short meeting with a friend to break up the day. Today I feel much better and plan to do a walk with friends. 

Anonymous
  • Hi Lynn

Today I’ve my first appointment atvSt James and can only echo your thoughts.Ive gitb35 radiotherapy treatments to look forward to along with 2/3 sessions if chemotherapy.Mine is cancer if the tonsil causes by a virus !!!!! That I could have had overv49 years lurking in my system .

Has 2 nd consultant meeting with a wonderful guy then in to the mould room where 3 lovely nurses make me feel as comfortable as they could in a daunting situation But I got through it mask made appointments tomorrow to get timings and start mid July.

Don’t know how far you are travelling our journey is 55 mins on a good day ,so leaving his. 90mins before we are due there.

Good luck and thu i we will all but the wall at some point it’s just knowing how to bounce back.

I had major meltdown on Sunday buying a dahlia plant with our 37 year old daughter when the dark demon thoughtbpopped up ^why bother u might be dead next year type if thought^?

Consultant taking CURE so ive to get that in my thick skull.

Keep smiling the Radiotgerapy Angels will get us there

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

So lovely to hear from you under difficult circumstances. I had hit a bit of a wall this morning & was feeling a bit sorry for myself so you woke me up to what others are having to go through. i hope you have good support to get through all of your treatment. I travel over from near Selby and have a team of people bringing me over. Each day is so different but it usually revolves around food!! My waistline is getting bigger by the day but having a meal after treatment in good company really helps. Then I like to go home to rest out of the sun on an afternoon and watch the tennis or I player. Last night I did not sleep well so have had a doze this aft and watched Extraordinary Homes. Feel so much better now as was in a lot of discomfort this morning.

Talking about meltdowns I had my 1st one this morning when Adele was on the radio singing a Bob Dylan song. Totally surprised me. But our emotions are bound to be affected with what we are facing. I have been off work since the end of March & not sure when I will get back as have also to fit in some eye surgery. Life put on hold. But all of my care so far has been amazing. St James's is a wonderful Hospital and we can be reassured that we are getting the best care there. 

And yes we will get there and be even stronger for it.

Lynn