Brave the Shave?

2 minute read time.

Brave the Shave is a campaign to raise funds for Macmillan. Here I share what its like to go through hair loss. 

For me personally hair loss has had a massive impact emotionally. I have grieved the loss of my life as I know it as cancer has taken so much. I didn't choose to have cancer. It chose me. I have no control over the treatment and side effects one of which is my hair falling out. As a woman we are defined by our hair. So when it falls out unlike a man who can be bauld and pass in society without too much problem for a woman it is hard. Wearing a wig in summer is hot and itchy. Wearing a scarf is a chemo uniform. And to go out into the world with your head hairless is to invite stares, judgement and a sure sign you are ill. Emotionally looking like an egg head has shattered my confidence, self worth and I have lost my identity. So the brave to shave campaign to me is one short of Macmillan using our plight for raising money. While they do this the images are of happy healthy people shaving their hair short...the reality is us who have cancer and loose our hair we don't have a trendy buzz cut....we have bear scalp and tufts....nothing to smile and rejoice about. The campaign does nothing to help people who don't have cancer understand how hard it is to have no choice over loosing our hair, the dreadful emotional price we endure. The loss of identity and how it forces us even more as a cancer patient as we are forced into the chemo uniform. I for one struggle so badly with how cancer has altered my life I have considered death. My world has fallen apart. And my hair falling out is symbolic of the total lack of control and the devastating impact cancer has had on my life. 

I am saddened that this is a campaign to raise money and not to raise awareness of how hard it is to loose hair during treatment that bashes you. It makes it appear nothing, it trivialises it, it does nothing to support those of us going through it. 

I personally have raised money for Macmillan with coffee mornings. I do appreciate the resources and support. However I would never sponsor anyone doing a brave to shave. It is wrong on so many levels. Macmillan please don't use our treatment side effects to bring money in there are plenty of other ways you can raise money. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Awarewolf,

Thank you for sharing your experience so honestly. We’re very sorry you’re upset by this fundraising campaign, it was certainly not our intention to cause any distress.

We created Brave the Shave after noticing that each year many people were shaving their heads to raise money for Macmillan. We wanted to make sure that people doing so felt fully supported in their fundraising efforts. To date, Brave the Shave has raised £16.8 million so that Macmillan can support people living with cancer, and we are very grateful for the support. We’re aware that this event is not for everyone but know that the people who sign up do so for very personal reasons, often in support or in memory of a loved one who has experienced cancer. Last year, 65% of people who signed up to Brave the Shave were inspired to do so by the experience of somebody they know who is or was affected by cancer. We absolutely would never intend to trivialise the impact that losing your hair due to treatment can have.

Macmillan offers support and advice for people going through and beyond treatment through different services including our support line and drop in centres. If you would like to speak Macmillan for support please call our free support line on 0808 808 00 00, Monday to Friday, 9am-8pm. If you have any questions about Brave the Shave or want to get in touch about this further please contact community@macmillan.org.uk

Kind regards

Jess

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Jess

Thank you Awarewolf for such an honest description of how it feels to lose hair during chemo.

There are now 31 pages of comments on Macmillan's own chat/forum with people saying how much this fundraising has upset them. Surely it is time for Macmillan to have another look at this particular fundraiser. Not least of all the name - it is very insulting to those of us who have lost our hair to chemo. I would urge you to look at all the comments on that page.

Obviously the amount of money raised is wonderful and to all who contributed I'd send a huge thank you. The most recent comments on that chat have suggested alternative ways to raise money without offending sufferers, such as growing hair and then having it cut to use for wigs. That is a wonderful idea.

Please please could Macmillan reconsider this "Brave the Shave" campaign.

Kind regards

Evie

• Macmillan, a few years ago, many survivors protested on here about the extremely demeaning nature of the Brave the Shave campaign, led by a member called Judi. 
    In response, I was one of many who received highly patronising individual responses from Macmillan, asking if we needed your help for our cancer situations. We only need your help in banning this demeaning campaign, which is akin to walking down a street blindfolded with a white stick to raise money for the Blind.
    At the same time, I was in touch with other cancer charities, all of whom admitted that, while they didn’t prohibit head shaving, they didn’t actively encourage it either. It’s therefore high time Macmillan responded to the feelings of the very people they are supposed to be helping and stopped this campaign.