Colposcopy and Biopsy

1 minute read time.

Hi to all reading this,

I would like to share with you my experience of Colposcopsy and biopsy. Maybe to settle any fears of anyone attending colposcopy soon. 

I was referred for colposcopy by a less than friendly gynaecologist last month after an internal exam and several symptoms that were causing me concern. She did state that she could see a "silky patch" (no clue what that means) on my cervix and a few other bits that she would like to be looked into. Thus left me feeling confused and wondering what my little "silky patch" may be.

Fast forward 3 weeks to last Monday and there I am at the Gynaecology department in the Royal Infirmary. I was taken by a wonderful nurse to meet the gentleman who would be carrying out my colposcopy examination. This gentleman was brilliant, he explained everything in great depth and made me feel at ease. He could tell I was very nervous, he soon settled my fears and told me that because I am so young (20) it is highly unlikely he will need to take any biopsies and would only do this if it is very necessary.

So, onto the bed we go. Stripped down from the waist and legs in stirrups. dyes on, little bit stingy but nothing unbearable!! Dr very silent whilst looking around, then told me he would need to take biopsies. I agreed, was told to cough and then a little nip came with each biopsy. He then applied a solution to stop the beeding and that was it. Up and dressed, he told me I would have my results within 3 weeks and that they would write to me with them. I had no clue what he had biopsied or saw and there was not a thing said such as if it was low grade abnormalities etc, he just said that he wasn't overly concerned which sounds good to me.

Now it's the waiting game! 

I want to let everyone know that colposcopy and biopsies really are nothing to worry about. I know that every lady is different but there are some horror stories out there! My advice is to take it easy afterwards because I did have some heavy cramps and bleeding. Apart from that don't panic!

Will update you all with results

C x

Anonymous