Good days bad days

1 minute read time.

My mum was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and spot on the liver November 17 and told 6-12months at the moment I am the sole caregiver she is painfully thin now and her pain is kept under control with Tramadol she has got over the constipation with Laxido and sennacot .She was doing really well until last week although she started to struggle to find word and sometimes the conversation was difficult as she would lose the thread she wasn’t to bad Then last week she was really confused really unsteady on her feet couldn’t work out how to get into bed and didn’t know if she had done things or had dreamt it and saw things walked the wrong way to rooms.

I called th dr and she had no kidney infection or any other health problems by the following Monday she was much better l don’t know if this is just part of the progression or just a blip if I should expect this to be something that is going to happen regularly.She still gets conversation very bizarre at times.and I am speaking to the community nurse about a care package for her which she is not happy about but I have to check her tablets and I am not always able to be there.I don’t want to ask questions in front of her so has anyone had similar experience 

Anonymous
  • Hi chasndavemum,

I'm so sorry that your mum has had this diagnosis, as her primary care giver it must be really tough on you, it's important to take good care of yourself, there is lots of support out there for both carers and patients. The Macmillan helpline should be able to help with your questions and with any practical or emotional support that you need, you can call them on 0808 808 0000 tomorrow after 9am.

If you would like to speak to other people in similar circumstances you could join the Caring for someone with incurable cancer group or the Carers group, sometimes the blog posts don't attract many replies as they are in another section of the site.

Lots of love and a big hug.

Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Chasanddavemum

My parents both had numerous health problems but had been independent all their lives and resisted care as did my two sisters who insisted they could cope. Things got progressively difficult with one of us having to sleep on the sofa every night. We had a great social worker who told me this was not good for any of the family and we should consider mum going in to a care home and dad having a care package put in at home. As you can imagine this was an enormous decision for us to make but ended up being the best decision for both mum and dad. They both ended up receiving the care that was needed for them as individuals. They became close to their carers and trusted them and enjoyed the visits. As long as you get the right company to provide the care both you and your mum should benefit. Between me and my two sisters we managed to get dad to the home five days a week to visit mum.

Don't feel guilty.

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Chasanddavemum

My parents both had numerous health problems but had been independent all their lives and resisted care as did my two sisters who insisted they could cope. Things got progressively difficult with one of us having to sleep on the sofa every night. We had a great social worker who told me this was not good for any of the family and we should consider mum going in to a care home and dad having a care package put in at home. As you can imagine this was an enormous decision for us to make but ended up being the best decision for both mum and dad. They both ended up receiving the care that was needed for them as individuals. They became close to their carers and trusted them and enjoyed the visits. As long as you get the right company to provide the care both you and your mum should benefit. Between me and my two sisters we managed to get dad to the home five days a week to visit mum.

Don't feel guilty.

Xx