Workplace worry

Less than one minute read time.

I work in education for local government recently I had an occupational health meeting the doctor said I was fit for work and was to have the appropriate days off during my chemo treatment. I have worked for my employer for over 8 yrs . Now my cancer is stage 2 my manager has called me in several times to discuss my death in service and also whether I wanted the option of early retirement. The numbers that they offered me are very low and I can not afford to live off that . In fact the whole thing has made me very uncomfortable. 

Should she be doing this ? Please advise 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Morning pip69

Warm welcome to the Mac Community, not a club anyone ever anticipated joining :(

With a cancer diagnosis you are protected against discrimination in the workplace by equality legislation, unfortunately some employers either know little about this, or do and push the boundaries as to what they can get away with... Some really show empathy by using your illness to to coerce you out the door - 'shame on them' !

You can read more about Work and Cancer for Employees clicking the coloured text link.

While you are here checking out the Mac site and settling in, do click the 'Groups' button (next to the home image) near the top of the page - You don't mention which type of cancer you are being treated for but there is bound to be a peer support group you can join to get support and advice from other members going through similar situations or treatments.

If this by any chance is breast cancer there is actually a monthly chemo support discussion within the Breast Group ?

Why on earth they are even talking to you about death in service if you are only stage 2 I have no idea - your manager is either getting very poor advice, or needs a reality check  :-/   If they are trying to scare the pants off you, they are making a damn good job of it....

Hope this is of some help for now, if you wish to reply with a little more info we can guide you to the more suitable areas here for you to get the most out of the site :)

Take care, G n' J