Hats Shopping

Less than one minute read time.

How do you decide what to do to feel an iota of your old self after losing your hair? I'm currently living in a beanie hat as I have a small amount of hair left at the front and back. Once this goes I do not know what to do... I've always had a lot of hair, kept it in a reasonable condition but taken it for granted. Do I try for a full on wig or look for a clip in piece if I keep the sides. 

I certainly cannot rock the cool, bald chick look as I have the ugliest head in history. There must be 7 or 8 sebaceous cysts on my head - one, the size of a golf ball!! It would scare small children. So what ever happens I have to stay covered. 

I can't believe how much this matters to me, I have cancer, my life was saved with emergency surgery on the discovery of the bowel cancer that was on the verge of bursting my bowel. I'm undergoing shockingly aggressive chemo. I've had missed injections and delayed chemo but it's the lack of hair that makes life seem unbearable. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Maggiemee, it's like you read my mind, I have visions of something being plopped on my head, 10 feet high a la Patsy from Ab Fab! I'm sure it won't be, but I'm sure you understand. It's also so alien isn't it to even have to think about these things. Also, I'm clumsy, can they fall off? Again, I think back to bad toupees in the 80's flying off in a breeze! I really need to reign in my imagination!

I've made an appointment so I guess the acceptance is done, thanks to the push of a very dear friend and your encouragement. Wish me luck!

Good luck to you too xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks!

Ab Fab :) 

Wigs are usually elasticated and have and adjustable elastic in them and metal clips at the temples, you can even brush your wig on your head and it won't move. Mine has fallen off once, but I was Skiing and toppled over - what a fright!

There are lots of advantages too, no more hairdressers, wash it, let it dry and shake it out and it looks like new - no styling or blowdrying, bleeding heck I'm convincing myself that life is better with a wig! I've also been given so may compliments since I've had it that I sometimes think I should have changed my look before...hmmm

Make up wise I have an eyebrow pencil until they fall out completely, then I'll use eyebrow powder - and luckily my wig has a longish 80's style flick fringe that sort of covers them, especially on woozy days when I'm not so careful during my make up routine!

I also invested in some false lashes for extra special occasions to fill out the stubby ones I've been left with...

Good luck, try on lots of styles, it'll be fun and you'll rock it! x