Low blood counts

Less than one minute read time.

Has anyone else had low blood counts 3 weeks after treatment. Red cell count up to 83 from 50 previously and neutrophils dropped from 1.6 to 1.2 in 2 days.

Second line treatment for unknown primary so 3rdchemo been deferred for a week.

Feeling extremely tired and very sore dry eyes.

Any advice gratefully received.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Janwen52

Sorry to see your neutrophil white cell count has bottomed out :(

There are G-CSF injections you may be able to have to boost white cell production during chemo but they can cause some bone aches.

You can also get 'false tears' to lubricate dry eyes as well so do mention this to your GP or onco.

Have you thought about posting these questions to the Ovarian Group Group you joined as others may have had similar issues and could offer some advice as to what helped them ?  It may help to mention the name of the chemo drug you were given as well.

Hope this is of some help, G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Dreamthief

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have so many dry eye drops but nothing seems to work. Seem to be running out of options!

Bloods being checked again next week so hopefully will have picked up.

Had problems with neutrophils first time round (dropped to 0.4at one point) , but not the platelet count.

Fingers crossed.

Best wishes to you.

Janet

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Janet / Janwen52

Are these eye drops over the counter jobs or prescribed ?

Dry eyes from chemo can also be caused over production of tears which can dilute the natural lubrication, chemo can also cause allergic conjuctivitis which may need specific eye drops to treat ? Have you tried Piriton tablets for example to see if they would help ?

Just thinking out aloud here, I'm not medically trained but we have learned a lot over the last five years.

Take care, G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Janwen52

ive been having chemo for over a year now and each session I’ve had bar maybe 2!! I’ve been neutropenic but luckily they’d go back up most of the time to still get my treatment on time. Sometimes I’d get delayed a week or infection! But do ask your doc about the injections I had them and they helped a lot. I must admit the back ache isn’t pleasant but if it keeps bloods up it’s worth it x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Will ask about injections if no improvement next week.

Had prescription and over the counter eye drops. Nothing seems to be working.

Just have to keep trying!

Thanks for replies.