How I view the world in a whole new wa.

2 minute read time.

It’s taken a while for me to fully understand what my thoughts were and I feel so much differently after cancer but also the same. I think when you are diagnosed with cancer, your mind goes into complete shock. I know mine did I was seating not really knowing what to say to the doctor who diagnosed me other then of course worrying over my holiday whether I could go or not. I was allowed.

I used to get so stressed over the most silly things but not all, regrettably but most I let things go over my head. I definitely see things in a new way and it’s helped me realise what is important. At one time I would get so annoyed very quickly almost always straight away. One coping mechanism I used and found helpful was to walk away, and think about anything but what was annoying, - is this Denal ? Not only did a see a counsellor who was wonderful. But one thing they said, well I am sure it was, my memory is rubbish at times, and although them on chemo can be effected, I didn’t have chemo so I am puzzled I did however got told because I am pre menopause that I would be landed right into the surgical menopause. Wow did that hit quickly. I be pouring in sweat at night couldn’t get to sleep yet I be so tired. But anyway whoever I heard this from said to me. Stress is a big thing but let’s make it smaller, because if it’s smaller it doesn’t seem so big. The analogy used was putting all the stress things in a bag and keep knocking out the air in the bag and it will get smaller. The smaller it, the more managed it will be so no stress. It can work for me sometimes. At the moment I have a few stresses from extra medical problems and alway a close friend who has incurable cancer has taken really bad again, so I am trying to endure that she is supported and in te that why she can better support him. Of course my medical treatment was different I had low stage womb cancer and only a hysterectomy to get rid of it, but he ( my friends husband) was starting to look great he was wanting to go back work now he really does look really. So now we’re of the believe he may only have a short time to life not unless the next load of chemo works more, he has gone so rapidly down hill. Although his wife is prepared. I don’t think you can really. So that and my appointments being all over the place on the Callander. The other ther thing is his wife is managing to do these well and she is a medical professional so she can do a fair amount herself. 

So yes, take each day as it comes and remember to roll up all your worries into a bag and throw it away. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello,  My name is Rosebud.

I was diagnosed with two different cancers 9 months ago.  One is in my left kidney, the other is womb cancer, which is causing all the problems.  I have had 9 rounds of chemo, which initially was working and shrinking the cancer but yesterday I was dealt the killer blow by being told that it has stopped working and the cancer has now spread to my pelvis.  I feel so cheated as I went through hell with the chemo and to be told by the oncologist  now that he is sorry that there is nothing more that he can do is such a body blow.

When this happens, what are we supposed to do?  Sit back and wait to die?  I am not ready to die and having fought so hard I feel aggrieved that they are just casting me aside now. I am trying to find a hospital who will take me on a clinical trial but with two cancers I am a bit of an unusual case.

If any of you dear people have any suggestions I would love to hear them.