The Void

Less than one minute read time.

Well just a few more days to go until the end of the dreaded month of April. All in all, it has been been a good month. No major health concerns, much less vivid reminders of the horrors of cancer treatments, basically it has been everything I ever dreamed of.

Still, time rolls on and I remain blissfully uncomfortable. I won’t bore you with the details but I can’t stop myself trying to find the answer to the unanswerable question. Last April, I needed a fast-forward button. Now I need a pause button. Maybe next April I will need a rewind button. 

What does telling someone their cancer is incurable actually achieve?

In the spectrum of problems to have, I realise all of this is pretty small. But in a way, maybe it is the most important question of all?

So the void will remain, deep inside me. 99% of the time I can distract myself from it. And maybe this April has taught me that I am getting better at hiding it? I really don’t want to get to the end of the film. I just want to be forever lost in the scene.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Greg777,

I feel exactly as you do.  I try to push thoughts aside as I cannot deal with outcome.  For what it is worth you have described what I am sure may feel.  Wishing you happiness.

Wishing you May sunshine and warmth.

Tali428 xx

• Greg what is your current position with your Cancer and are you still working?   We all want to live forever after we are given those words “You have incurrable Cancer”.  Suddenly life seems much more important to you, acceptance is hard but you have to get to that stage in order to fight and be strong.  Some people can do it with friends and family around them some people need a stranger to talk to, like a councillor, but never give in there is always  more out there, a new drug trial a new procedure.  I hope May brings more sunshine into your life xxx

• Thank you Tali and rosehamp for your comments and others for liking the entry.

I think so much of what we deal with as cancer patients relates to what is going on in the head. I am 2 years post treatment now and in remission. To look at me, you would not know I’ve been diagnosed with an incurable Cancer. I have a lot to celebrate and I do celebrate it. But something has changed and it will be forever changed. And I feel at 36 I was too young to have that thrust upon me. The struggle for me now is to keep that part of me so small and buried that even I don’t notice it myself.

All the best everyone!