24th - 30th April updates

4 minute read time.

24th April

Woke up this morning after a nice sleep with the new nephrostomy bag setup. I then had to dismantle it all to have a shower. Unfortunately when I got out of the shower I noticed that it was bleeding but I wasn’t sure if it was the wound itself or whether the blood was coming out of the tube. After panicking slightly we decided to go back to square one with the old nephrostomy bag . It soon became apparent that the blood was coming from the wound though as it cleared up pretty quickly after that.

New sickness tablets seem to be doing the trick as it’s nowhere near as bad.

Not too bad a day apart from that incident so we took the woofer to the pub to see his ‘girlfriend’ in the afternoon.

25th April

Hospice day again today (they seem to come round really quick!). A quick trip to the hospital first though for my blood test prior to chemo on Friday. The nurse asked how many sessions I had left and what was the plan after that? When I said that the chemo was purely palliative just to give me some extra time I don’t think she knew what to say in reply; poor woman.

No phone call from the hospital in the afternoon so my bloods must be ok.

Hubby headed off in the evening to see a friend so I stayed in and had a relaxing time watching the telly.

26th April

Our 19th wedding anniversary today and I got a lovely card off hubby.

A friend came to visit today on a trip back from Scotland. Hubby went into town with him, no doubt for a long deserved chat and wind down from all the events that have been happening to us recently (and a curry and a pint of course!). My dad came round and walked the woofer for me which I felt rather guilty about as he has sciatica at the moment : 0 (

I have another water infection again – gggrrrr. I hope the antibiotics kick in soon as we are going on a 3 night break to the Forest of Dean straight after chemo tomorrow. It’s weird but the water infections I get seem to come round every time I have chemo. I must just be unlucky though as there can’t be a connection?

When the doctors called to let me know I had a water infection they asked me to pick a personal GP out of the 4 of them for personal contact with all the other outside agencies. It was difficult to choose after working there – like choosing a favourite child!

I called the hospital to cancel my CT scan that is booked for 07:45 on Tuesday as it means getting back from being away and then packing again and trying to find a B&B in Warwick. Hopefully the new date will be at a more suitable time.

27th April

Chemo day – not a day I ever look forward to. I was rather uncomfortable when I got there but that soon wore off thankfully. It took three attempts to get the cannula in my hand and two nurses (I have really poor veins in my hands). Once that was sorted though I settled down to read my book between snoozing and eating.

The nurse informed me half way through that my blood test results suggest that I am anaemic. Apparently I have been anaemic since chemo number one but they haven’t mentioned it to me. So, I might have to have a blood transfusion before chemo number four if my blood results are down again. More needles …… it’s a good job I got over my needle phobia!

I was finished about 5:30ish so we headed straight off to our three night break in the Forest of Dean. We arrived there about 7, ordered pizza and settled in for the night.

28th – 30th April – Holibobs

We spent a really relaxing few days in a wonderful log cabin in a forest. We didn’t do much other than attempt to complete a 1000 piece jigsaw (which we failed before we left!). The rest of the time was spent having lots of R and R; walking the woofer, drinking and eating. We had one trip out to a local pub but actually ate in all three nights. The dog had a great time barking at all the squirrels.

I had ‘good’ days whilst there as predicted (I’m usually ok straight after chemo). My only problem was extreme tiredness on the last night and during the day today but I can handle that with lots of naps. My water infection is clearing slowly but the inevitable constipation is kicking in again.

I did feel a bit sick today which I don’t usually do after chemo for at least 3 or 4 days. They did give me some different tablets so that explain it? Hopefully it will be better tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

My temperature has been a lot better over the last week, pretty much always below 37 so that’s all good as it did go a bit high for too long.

I received a letter with a new date and time for my CT scan and it’s a lot better. A week later than the previous appointment and more importantly it’s around midday so no need to get up at stupid a clock or find a B&B. Happy days :)

Anonymous