Home on Saturday

Less than one minute read time.

Looking forward to collecting my Dad from hospital on Saturday to take him home for 5 days before he returns to have another port fitted and start a new bout of chemo, hoping it has some effect. I know these times have to be treasured and remembered especially with the prognosis as it is and plan to make the most of every moment. 

I certainly receive strength from people's comments and feel supported through reading about those in similar circumstances

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm so sorry you're going through this. My dad has been living with prostate cancer for the past few years but was recently told he has less than a year. Other treatments seem to have stopped being effective, so in a few days he has to make the decision whether or not to do chemo. He just turned 80 and has become noticeably weaker in recent months, and I'm trying to accept that he will probably refuse it. I'm almost certain his doctors are coming down on that side of things too, but are presenting it because we as a family keep asking about options.

You're so right about how the remaining time should be treasured. Dad just had a big 80th birthday and it was wonderful, and we always do lots of stuff together. It is strange how one adapts to living with the prognosis hanging over one's head - it absolutely does not make the thought of not having him in my life any better, and I'm crying as I write this, but I can spend my time with him talking about his life or doing crossword puzzles, reading books or watching silly movies, without leaking tears.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

There is a doctor in UC San Diego that does robotic surgery on 80 year olds. In case they tell you he can’t have robotic. Hope this helps. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I hope both of yours dads beat the odds and they can surpass their life expectancy. Dads are the best and you two seem like amazing daughters. God bless.