Feeling numb

Less than one minute read time.

I suppose I always knew that this day had to come but however much you try and prepare it still hits you hard - like a punch in the gut. The hardest thing, as well as trying to get my brain round the fact that my Dad  is unlikely to be around come Christmas, is that I am the support for my mum and my sister - everyone turns to me. They have done since the diagnosis and although this is fine, most of the time, sometimes it feels as though no one thinks about me. Not a great talker with regards to feelings, emotions etc, things tend to get bottled up and my control mechanism is running and work.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I lost my husband on December 19th 2017 following a diagnosis just 6 weeks earlier.

Fortunately nigel didn't seem to be in pain and I was able to care for him at home up to his end.

During those last 6 weeks we were closer than ever before in the 35 years we were together.

Nigel left 8 weeks ago now, 2 weeks longer than we knew he was ill. I say up to his end as this numb, gut wrenching feeling as you say 'like a punch in the stomach' is still there and I fear to some degree always will be.

I provide support to our children ages 30 and 20 as and when they need it and at their low times I feel guilty for the pain they feel and the fact I can't make it better.

If the people around you lean on you it's because they trust you and feel able to confide in you. Maybe you should try sharing how you feel about your dad with them, it may help them to know that you are all in it together, it's not a competition about who cares the most or who is able to deal with it best. You all love your dad and have your own unique relationship with him. Share those moments and memories with each other.

We all have a very short time in this world but unfortunately we don't appreciate that fact until we are forced to. We take our family for granted because experience shows us we can but when something like this happens it is truly life changing for everyone involved and as devastating as it is you and your family know you are going to lose your dad but your dad is going to lose you all. Remember to talk to him and ask him about his happy memories and tell him what he means to you. Once you open up I think you will feel more at ease with everything.

In some ways we are the lucky ones as we are able to say goodbye to our loved one and in part start to grieve our loss and theirs too.

There is no sound advice or any way of avoiding the inevitable.

All I can say is learn from this experience. Treasure every moment in your life, don't worry and beat yourself up over what you can't change and don't waste time doing things that you are unhappy with life is far to short

Take care of yourself and your family and know that my thoughts are with you all x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Nettie, I'm sorry to hear about your husband but glad he was able to be at home. I know my mum wants to do this for my Dad as well. I know I have to make the most of all the opportunities we have together - it's just getting your head round enjoying every moment knowing what the inevitable is.