And finally I stopped - my post chemo experience

7 minute read time.

After 3 years of chemotherapy I finally made it to the end of treatment. It was time to celebrate, to crack on with the ‘new normal’ of life, I was finished and I was alive!

Well that’s the theory. The reality, for me, turned out to be somewhat different. So I did party, a perfectly timed joint 50th with my husband was an absolute blast. A week later I was being carted off in an ambulance after ‘fainting’ in Epsom town centre. 

Once more I was back in the side room in A&E, we call it the ‘Room of Doom’, where 3 years earlier I’d been diagnosed with leukeamia. The memories came flooding back. There followed a series of tests – a CT scan to check for brain abnormalities, a heart scan, the extraction of spinal fluid to check for disease, during which I was given a ‘just in case’ dose of chemo – hey, I’d rung the end of treatment bell, what was going on? After my shock leukaemia diagnosis it was easy to convince myself I had a brain tumour, or epilepsy, or a heart condition. Dr Google is a dangerous man!

Over the course of 2 weeks I tumbled in to a whole new anxious ridden world. Test results showed nothing physically wrong. I’d quite simply done too much too soon. My brain had finally woken up to what I’d been through over the previous 3 years. No longer faced with keeping going to the next treatment round, I had time to think, time to recall the horrors, time to reflect on how close I had come to dying. 

The outside world expects cancer survivors to leap up from the sofa, write an amazing bucket list, and start galavanting around the world ticking everything off. In reality a lot of cancer survivors experience mental health issues, depression is common, as is anxiety. My diagnosis was something akin to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I’d known that with fewer hospital appointments there was a possibility I’d feel lost and isolated, but I hadn’t expected to feel this low.

On top of that my body had had enough. It needed me to stop. In my excitement at reaching my second chance at life, my brain wasn’t listening to my body, which is why my body quite literally shut itself down. The flashing images that preceded my ‘faint’ was how it chose to do so, a very public smack in the face. 

Anything beyond my house became too much, my vision would quickly go fuzzy round the edges. Anything more dramatic than ‘The Durrells’ on Netflix made me nervous, a reading book had to be very gentle. Watching the news, doing a Tesco order, being in the kitchen, made me physically anxious. My heart raced, I got hot, I felt dizzy. I couldn’t look at anything with a busy pattern on it, my husband wasn’t going to be wearing a checked shirt for a while, not one that I’d ironed anyway. I even got anxious about the spare bed being covered in the kids’ unwanted Lego, and my mother-in-law needed to sleep in it, admittedly not for 4 months, but how on earth would we get it sorted out in time!

A silver lining of having cancer is the support that can come with it. The Marsden treated my anxiety with the same care as they had treated my cancer. With their encouragement I went to Maggie’s at the Marsden where they listened to me for 2 hours whilst I cried about all sorts of ‘what ifs’, worrying about things weeks in the future, not wanting to let people down. Everyone had spent the last 3 years telling me what an inspiration I was, how strong I was, and yet here I was a gibbering wreck. 

I also have access to a counsellor who’s been with me through the whole thing. I spent some of Christmas Eve chatting to him, working out some simple strategies to stop me sinking any further. For this I am very grateful, access to mental health support so quickly and for free, is a privilege, I fear for those who are forced to wait for months, or pay out vast sums on private support.

Self-help was necessary so read books that helped me understand my anxiety, and identified more strategies.

Over the coming weeks what I learnt was this. 

• I needed to put myself first. I had to forget about doing the right thing for everybody else.
  • Writing down 3 positive things at the end of the day helped me wake up the next morning feeling more able to face the new day.
  • Wearing my ‘lucky’ jewellery that I’d worn during chemo gave me strength.
  • Wearing the colour red increased my confidence, in fact just making an effort with my appearance was a boost.
  • Carrying a sentimental talisman in my pocket gave me something to fiddle when I felt nervous, it stopped the uncontrollable finger tapping.
  • A daily country walk gave me fresh air and exercise, a different view to look at, and time away from distractions to really talk to my husband about how I felt.
  • The Headspace App, that teaches meditation, made me take 10 minutes a day to just switch off.
  • The website Get Self Help had a lot of easy to access material on all sorts of mental health issues. From this I found and followed ACE – Achieve, in my case a simple chore like the washing. Connect, staying in touch with friends and family by Whats App or face to face. Enjoy, reading a book, being creative, playing a game with the kids. ACE gave my days structure and purpose so I didn’t just wallow in self pity.
  • When you talk to people honestly about how you feel they invariably share something about themselves too, it’s not just you finding life hard. No one has a perfect life.
  • I spent a few days writing down all my activities, everything from getting dressed, making a cup of tea, sending an email. I rated each item for the amount of effort it had taken, and the amount of enjoyment it gave me. I realised how much I was actually still doing, which gave me a sense of purpose, and how, over time, the effort required was dropping. Things were getting easier.
  • Using online community boards I reached out to other survivors and found that many of them had had a similar experience. I wasn’t alone, a point that was simultaneously being made in ITV’s ‘Cold Feet’ – something that led me to appear on BBC Breakfast, another random life experience that cancer has given me!
  • Most importantly for me I asked for practical help. With the help of a friend I made it back on the school run, taking small incremental steps that quite literally got me closer to the gate each day, until I felt able to walk through it, and then go on to walk through it alone.
  • Only by making the effort to try things would I know if I could cope with them. Sometimes that meant doing a ‘dummy run’, so walking round the block on my own, taking a test drive in the car with my husband alongside me as back up. A giant leap was making it to the O2 to see my daughter at Young Voices. A lot of effort went in to making it possible, planning who would be with me on the journey there, where we would meet, which route we would take. We put contingencies in place like a seat at the end of the row so I could escape if I needed to, I had my iPod to distract myself with music, when I felt panicky I counted my breaths. The result was a fabulous night out with family and friends, watching my daughter sing her heart out, it was pure soup for the soul.

I was lucky that I could take time out. I really could stop. I didn’t cook a family meal for 4 weeks. I didn’t drive the car for nearer 7 weeks. It wasn’t easy for anybody, but investing time recuperating was invaluable. It gave my body  and my mind time to recover. I’m not cured, I still find shops and busy places overwhelming, I still have to pace myself gently though life, but I do have a structure by which I can start to rebuild life, and I have strategies to support me when things don’t go to plan. 

The first trick was to get help early, and be open about how I felt. How many times, when asked how you are, have you replied ‘fine’, when actually you’re really struggling? How often do you just feel like the treadmill of life is going too fast and you want to get off? Our brains control our body, they are worth looking after, which is why the next trick for me is to keep going with all those strategies, that way I can give my second chance its best shot.

Worth a read:

‘How to Feel Better – Practical ways to recover well from illness and injury’  and ‘The Cancer Survivor’s Companion’ both by Dr Frances Goodhart and Lucy Atkins.

‘After the Treatment Finishes’ by Peter Harvey.

“Mad Girl – A Happy Life With A Mixed-Up Mind’ Bryony Gordon

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you for writing this blog, as a fellow blood cancer patient myself even I consider the impact a diagnosis of acute leukaemia one of the most challenging. There you are just leading a normal life and one blood test later you whole world is turned completely upside down with the kind of intensive treatment that would be a physical and mental challenge for anyone. I don’t have the slightest problem equating the experience with PTSD, it’s a fact it leaves a legacy that you will have to learn to mange for the rest of your life. I congratulate you for facing this head on as it’s most definitely the right strategy to put your energies into healing rather than trying to repress your feelings, which seldom leads to a happy place.

• I finished my treatment in Nov 2017, but due to complications from surgery I had to have kidney removed last March 2019.  2018 was full of hospital visits, minor ops, scans, and blood tests.different 

It's only now that I'm realising that the worse is probably over. Yes, I may need further preventive treatment in the future, but things seem have reached a plateau.  Like you I always thought of having a big party when finished, but over time it became more remote and I seem to have gone off the idea. I agree that too many people seemto think you have new way of looking at things and you should feel grateful.  Why? I didn't ask for it, or the anxiety that it could come back. I get tired of tbe phrase "well your still here", like I've won the lottery

I agree, it's a slow road back to life, not a normal life because we've left that behind, but a different one and it can take time. Remember that after three years of chemo you have a compromised imune system that takes time to rebuild itself and that you are the expert on what's right for You and how you feel.  Obviously, don't afraid to ask or take help, but make it's the help You need.

All the best

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks for your comments, understanding and support.

I wish you both well with what ever lies ahead.

Take care.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

What a great read your blog is. So close to my own experience and so well expressed. Thank you for writing this and sharing it here.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Daloni for your comments.

I'm glad you found the blog a good read, but I'm sorry to read your long and traumatic experience of cancer.

I wish you all the best x