Fear of the unknown

2 minute read time.

Hi my name is David and I was diagnosed with kidney cancer December 2015.

It was a scary start to finding out.

First time I knew anything was wrong is when I went to the toilet and passed a lot of blood. I had no pain at this stage so had no idea what it could have been. I went to the doctor and he said it was probably kidney stones so I went home. Still passing blood I was waiting for the pain from the stones. About two days later I experienced the worst pain imaginable. I was sick and couldn't stand or walk. My wife rushed me to A&E. I was seen straight away and the doctor thought it was kidney stones also. I was there a while they gave me morphine which didn't get rid of the pain. I then saw another doctor who I think was Australian. He said for his peace of mind he wanted to send me a scan. I was admitted to hospital for the night. The next morning a doctor came and told me that they had found a 4cm lump on my kidney. They sent me for a CT scan to get a better idea. After speaking to my consultant I found out the lump was 10cm. 

I had my operation in January and my consultant did an excellent job. He even managed to miss my tattoo lol. I went home 3 days later and still in a lot of pain from the operation. A week later I had to see my consultant and found out that my cancer was Stage 2, Grade 4. He told me that the cancer was growing so fast I couldn't provide it with enough blood so part of it was dying whilst it kept growing. The reason for the high level of pain was the cancer ripping my kidney apart.

3 years on and I am cancer free. I still have my yearly CT scan but so far so good.

I don't know if this has anything to do with having my kidney removed but since the operation I seem to be having problems on my right hand side. I was going to the gym and hurt my shoulder (about 6 months ago) and still hasn't healed. I have pain in the right side of my back and groin and my right knee keeps popping and giving way. The worst is today when I got out of the shower I noticed that my right testicle was swollen. I will be back to the doctor tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone else had any similar problems after having their operation?

Anonymous