Spinal Stenosis, emotions and side effects.

1 minute read time.

Well I last updated 3 days ago and thought by now I would be feeling better, no, how wrong am I . When I said this has hit me harder this time it is also going on for longer. Previously I have felt fairly good as taking the steroids, finish them have a major meltdown for a day or 2 and then back to normal (well, as normal as you can be with this poison through your body).

Not this time the emotional side of it has JUST about subsided but the physical side is still well and truly there.

I have been trying to go for a walk which, for me is very difficult as I also suffer with Spinal Stenosis which makes walking very painful. So add to the tiredness and I sometimes feel I'm going to pass out!!

Then the emotions…. my daughters call or text and all I do is moan about the SE which then makes them feel helpless as they can do nothing. THEN when they don’t contact me I’m feeling unloved and no-one cares. So, so silly but these emotions are truly horrible.

Have just come back from the supermarket, only popped in for a couple of things but came home and had to sit down as felt I had run a marathon!!

Ah well, onwards and upwards.

I would just like to mention this is my blog of my own thoughts and feelings and are not meant to guide you or diagnose you. I just hope it might help some people get through this ‘journey’ (hate that word!!) and know there are lots of us out there going through very similar emotions.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Taralou 

Nice to meet you although I'd prefer it elsewhere. I was diagnosed in March 2015 with a rare incurable bone marrow cancer. Treatment every week and I'm responding however when the strength was reduced once, my blood count dropped so proving that I absolutely need it. Unfortunately I have been told that a stem cell transplant is out of the question because "it would probably kill me".

About 4 months later, I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis so I know where you're coming from with that one. Absolute pain from hell. It's so bad that I'm a wheelchair user now. As soon as I stand, the pain starts in the hip region then it builds up and feels like I've a lump in my buttock. I'm taking 120 mg of MST twice a day as well as Sevredol, 10mg every 4 hours  however that doesn't stop the pain. My GP won't increase the MST in case I doze when driving. Tbh, I doubt if anything will stop the pain. 

Seeing life from a wheelchair is the only way I can get around. I had to stop work because of the cancer and the stenosis and I really really miss going for walks. I've put on 4st in the last 2 years even though I have been using a cycling machine often. The strange thing is that I can cycle easily, as soon as I sit the pain disappears.

I post mainly in Living life with an incurable cancer, and sometimes in Chat. Give me a call and we can compare pain! 

Take care 

• Hi hope58 Many thanks for your message. It's only when speaking to other people with the same diagnosis that I realise how lucky I am!!! My spinal stenosis is nowehere near as bad as yours and I really feel for you. Mine is aggravated when I walk so, in consequence, I hate walking as it is so painful however, when I stop walking the pain stops!! Which I do very often just to get out and about.

I think with the cancer now and having chemo it is so tiring and that makes it worse.

Again, even with side effect from the chemo I am nowhere near as bad as other people on this forum and I have to count my blessings even though doesn't feel like it sometimes!!

I wish you all the best for the future.