How lucky I am - My treatment so far

4 minute read time.

I have been reading and contributing to the online community site for a few months now and have honestly found it a godsend for support, advice, laughs, hugs and the not so nice side of cancer we are all dealing with in the most honest way possible.

After reading about the journeys some people are having and then I think about mine hmmmm….. how do I put this???

Really easy compared to so many of you to name but a few:

, , , , , , , , ,

And all others I have missed (sorry!!)

Since I started chemo in January:

I have not spent a night in hospital like so many of you

I have not had a low blood count to stop my treatment

I have taken all drugs given to me without question and have not had an adverse reaction to any of them.

I have had NO unmanageable side effects

I have had plenty of MANGEABLE side effects

I have not had to change or ask for different drugs

I have not had to spend days in bed as some of you have

I ‘m sure there’s plenty more but I do get a chemo brain!!!

So, I would like to offer my OWN advice and what has worked for me and me only, but might just help someone else.

When starting out on the chemo train I changed nothing to do with my daily routine. I carried on using all my normal perfumed deodorant, moisturiser, shampoo etc etc. My thinking is why change if I don’t need to? If something suddenly has a nasty reaction I will change it then.

I don’t use any hand gels, anti-bacterial wipes or similar, didn’t use them before why start now? Toilet is cleaned every day how many more times should I do it?

So far have not changed any of the above and am now on #4. I’m not saying I won’t but have had no need up to now.

Things I DID change were:

Getting my shoulder length hair cut short as was told would lose my hair and this was best,  hmmm…….. well, l did it anyway and when it did start falling out was better to deal with. I then went and had a number 4 clip as was advised not to shave.

I swopped pillowcase for silk ones, brilliant - would definitely recommend.

I am going to list my diagnosis/treatment/drugs as this may help someone in a similar position:

My diagnosis is:

Left Breast, Invasive lobular carcinoma grade II. ER8 PR4 HER2 FISH non-amplified.

My operation:

Lumpectomy and partial Lymph node clearance as they were showing clear. Result showed more lymph nodes affected so went back in for clearance of lymph nodes. Eventually found 8/14 effected. Which meant the chemotherapy and radiotherapy for me.

My chemo consists of:

EC x 4 and T x 3 (Epirubicin & Cyclophosphamide) and (Docetaxel/ commonly known as Taxotere).

Drugs I am prescribed each chemo treatment are:

Emend 80mg anti sickness for 2 days

Ondansetron 8mg anti sickness for 3 days

Dexamethasone 2mg steroid for 3 days

Lenograstim injections from 3rd day for 5 days

These drugs have worked for me is all I can say.

Side effects so far have been manageable.

Yes, I have lost my hair however not all of it which is really strange, I still have hair on my head (bit like a soft hedgehog admittedly but I think it is growing!! ). Will come back to you on that as I am measuring from now so will see!!

Also, not ALL hair has gone, I am quite a hairy person so don’t know if this make any difference.

Tiredness has been the biggest thing to deal with and getting used to listening to my body and sitting/resting when I need to. Always such a busy person so find this hard to do.

Apart from all the niggly things we all get nothing much more.

My further treatment after chemo will consist of:

Radiotherapy

Endocrine treatment

Zoledronic acid 6 monthly

Am pretty sure will go back on Letrozole as well.

I know that when I was first diagnosed it was all very surreal for along time, I went back to work, I went on holiday and just carried on as normal really until the chemo started. I am off work now until chemo finishes and, even now, some days I don’t feel anything is wrong which is really strange. I have managed to stay positive most days and just think ‘this bloody cancer will not beat me’.

I have a VERY supportive husband, daughters and friends who are there for me, this DOES make a big difference I know.

This is why I say      HOW LUCKY I AM         compared to so many of you and would just like to say a big  THANK YOU                    

for all your support to myself and so many others on the site. I always recommend this community to anyone I meet.

and I hope everything is all ok with you.

Quite a long blog this one but if it helps one person then I will be happy.

Anonymous
  • Hey taralou

That is so encouraging to hear!! It's good for others to read the positive stories, as they are so seldom shared due to those women not having a need for places like this.

I didn't change anything, particularly. I was working in houses during chemo, so did use a lot of hand gel. But I worked full time throughout. I too didn't lose all of my hair, and it was growing again during Tax. A year later and it's been cut 4 times and due for another!!

My crap came after, with the heart issues, but that is now resolved and on the mend.

This is indeed an amazing group of people, and I'm sure there will be some lifelong friends among them!!

Massive hugs, and good luck for the rest of your treatment

xx

• Thanks taralou It's good to hear you're travelling well. You'll be an inspiration to others just starting out on the chemo journey in particular.

Hope the rest of your treatment goes just as positively.

• Hi toxophilite and Kacang, Many thanks for your kind words.

I would like to point out though that I did not post this with the intention of feeling smug (in case that is how it came across). It's just I think I am suffering with the chemo until I read other people's posts and just think mine is NOTHING to what other people are going through. And.. yes, it is good to shine a positive light sometimes for any newbies to chemo.

HOWEVER .... he best is yet to come!!! I start the T part in just over 2 weeks and my Onco said I 'would feel like I had been hit by a ten-ton truck and run a marathon'!! But that was the worst case scenario, happy days!!!

I will be following behind: Dormouse, Deb09, Aliblue, Aspen, and probably many others.

I have just read your posts ladies and am now fearing the worst. I know it won't be an easy ride and even up to last week I felt like giving up so I really cannot imagine what you ladies are going through.

Well, here's a great big hug for everyone this Easter