Decision on Optima Trial

1 minute read time.

I saw my oncologist for the first time today.  I had WLE last month. 14mm tumour, ER+ HER2-.  SLND biopsy showed some spread there.  I have 3 choices, no treatment, chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy and hormone therapy or to go on the OPTIMA trial.

I was told that the Oncotype DX test would not be suitable for me.  This trial uses the Prosigna genome to decide whether chemotherapy is necessary.  I would be randomly placed in group a or b.  Group A would all receive the normal treatment regardless.  Group B would have tissue analysed by the test and directed to chemotherapy or hormone therapy.  I would not know which group I was in.  Only if I did not go to chemotherapy it would have been decided by the test.

On the face of it the trial is attractive as it could avoid unnecessary and unpleasant treatment.  Chemotherapy only adds a difference of 5% and the side effects are well known.

I have been given a day to think it over.  The trial will delay the start of my treatment while the tissue sample is sent to the lab.  Not sure at the moment - lots of reading and thinking to do.

Feeling very depressed as I now know that my once in a lifetime trip to Australia and New Zealand is off - I was due to go on 5th February for 5 weeks.  Health comes first.

Anonymous