The first 5 weeks

2 minute read time.

This is partly just a visual record of my recovery after Mohs surgery to remove a BCC on the side of my nose. I found it really helpful to read a similar blog by Indie15 on this site, though her surgery was on the bridge of her nose.

After not being terribly well-prepared for the surgery beforehand (they don't know what they're going to do until the day), it's been a bit of a steep learning curve.

The worst point came a week after the surgery, when I revisited the hospital, I thought, to have the dressing removed. It was a busy dressing clinic, and the nurse who saw me was not terribly helpful. She told me that the purple mark in the middle of the graft could indicate it might fail (partially, or fully, I couldn't figure it out and I didn't get the chance to ask questions). I got a brief look at the graft, and it was redressed. I visited again a week later, and the dressing was removed. The nurse was much more helpful and supportive, and I felt reassured that the graft was okay. This was how it looked the day after the dressing was removed (2 weeks post surgery):

One week later, the graft had changed quite a bit, and there was quite a bit of scabbing around it, which hadn't come away with cleansing with the aqueous cleanser the second nurse had given me. It looked like this:

(The small circle next to the graft is the site of a punch biopsy, taken during the reconstruction, of another red area the surgeon was concerned about).

I found stitches in the graft area. As these were coloured, I thought they might have been left from where the bolster was stitched in place immediately after the operation. The nurse at my GP surgery was afraid to touch them, so I returned to the hospital again. The nursing staff were lovely. They cleaned up the area, removing the scabbing. I don't know if this was a good idea (all the guidelines suggest leaving scabs in place until they come away).But it did mean that the graft looked better, and I could also start massaging to reduce scarring. After the 'descabbing' the graft looked like this:

I started massaging twice a day with Boots Scar Reducing Serum. I also use Scaraway dressing (cut down to size), day and night, taped in place with flesh-coloured steritape. The graft is changing slowly, not always for the better it seems. Sometimes it looks redder, and the raised appearance is still there  This is it after 5 weeks:

I have the histology follow-up on January 17, and am hoping I can find out more about how the graft might develop/heal over the next few months.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi had operation last week took dressing off yesterday it looks very odd but surgeon said it looks good  back next week to get it checked is it normal to have to go back so soon worried this is going to fail can anyone shed any light thank you so much

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Selina

I think full skin grafts can look pretty bad when the dressing first comes off - purple and bruised. I didn't really get a good look at mine until two weeks after the op (when I took the first photo), so some of the bruising may have gone down.

I would have thought if the surgeon had any concerns, he would have at least given some sort of indication. I think it's great he's going to see you ne

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Ess, 

im curious...how did the spot look before surgery? How much bigger was it after the cutting? I’m scheduled for Mohs in a couple of weeks and have to admit I’m terrified. It been months for you now...how is the graft looking now? Thanks for your post of pictures and timeline...it is helpful.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Ennasus

I'm glad you found this helpful. The spot I had was about 3mm x 3mm, but this must have just been the centre. When I looked back at my notes after the biopsy they described an area about 10mm x 10mm. The skin graft is about the size of a 20p piece.

I stopped doing the blog because I felt my case was actually not very representative. The scar became hypertrophic (apparently this is very unusual on the face; not sure if it was due to bad luck or the fact that the nurse picked the scabs off!l). I had to have steroid injections to bring the inflammation down (3 times). So mine is perhaps an almost worse case scenario. 

The most anxiety I experienced was when I knew something wasn't quite right about how it was healing but the Dr I saw for my histology appt was very dismissive and not forthcoming about what was wrong. I think this is unusual- most people on the group seem to have experienced good medical care. 

It's a year down the line and the scar does not look too noticeable - at least not to other people. I would say that massage (morning and evening) and applying silicone (I wear Scaraway patches cut down to size) definitely make a difference. And get yourself on the Changing Faces waiting list for advice on makeup disguise for scars. 

I will update my blog with some photos over the past year, which I hope you find helpful. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Me again! Unable to upload pics via my Blog, so I've posted past year progress to the Skin Cancer group, with photos. Hope it's helpful for you, Ennassus.