Happy New Year

2 minute read time.

Happy New Year

That's what everyone will say tomorrow and until now it's just been a kind regard, something with sentiment and intent that you have a nice few months ahead. Right now it feels like the starting pistol to what could well be the hardest 12 months of my life.

October 22nd 2015 - the day my Dad told me it was Cancer. A horrid word for something horrid that affects millions of people daily. But never to me or mine. Until now. You could say at 28 and only knowing a handful of distant friends and relatives touched by the disease that I'd been somewhat fortunate. The most recent a great uncle who had passed from an aggressive form of oesophageal cancer which had devastated my Gramps, a painful thing to see, but still someone I'd seen maybe two or three times in the last 10 or so years of my life.  And now it was happening to my Dad. The pillar of strength, the constant, the man of the house, someone I looked up to greatly someone who I'd never thought would even be bother by a cold. 

December 28th - I received a message, I'm guessing they were words too difficult for a proud man to say out loud. "I'm sorry to spoil your Christmas, but I've had it, I've got a year with chemo a matter of weeks without" there I was sat watching TV Some Christmas special of sorts I'm sure, then my world felt smashed to pieces. A cliché to some but the only words I can use to describe how I felt like I was crumbling.

Which leads to today. December 31st dreading my shift tomorrow, knowing every person will wish me happy new year, most of them know what's happening, I've broken down on shift a handful of times, give them their due my colleagues, pick me up dust me down, over me the rest of the day off (not that I can afford it) and give hugs and advice a plenty. But nothing is taking the edge off. Some how I've got to try and accept that sooner rather than later, a beautiful light in my life is going to go out, soon enough there will be a great void in the lives of so many of my family members. I can't bear to think of my Mum, my Sisters, my Grandparents my Niece and how much they love him and how much they need him. How much I need him. 

More than anything my heart just feels broken, I don't know how I'll ever be happy again. How can I find any positivity in losing the greatest man in my life. 

Anonymous
  • I honestly could have written this myself....I totally get it. I have spoken to so many people recently about my Mum and no one can make it better. I am scared for the future ...knowing a part of my heart will be missing. It is not just the horrid journey we have to see them going through but the days..weeks...years after....when you just need them there

I am drawing on strength I never thought I had. I am making a memory book...have bought her fav box set I remember her watching as I was a child gor her to help her get through chemo...thinking of buying a dictophone to record her voice...trying to find as many ways to cope and capture the previous time left.

Take care and keep reaching out...you are not alone and you need to make your Dad proud and continue his legacy.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Kooper and koopmanclan my heart goes out to you both. I got my Happy New Year from my dad on 1st January 2012 knowing it would be the last. Your blog took me right back to that time.

People will tell you it will be ok, and more than one person will use the cliche 'time heals' - I'm not going to be that person. Perhaps it's better to use a different analogy. When I was little my dad had fairy ornaments, they lived on top of the TV. As you can imagine, those poor little fairies had a tough life living with two kids. Every wing and limb was broken, sometimes several times.  They live in my bedroom now, in one piece. But no matter how much superglue you use to save them, the break is always there. From a distance they look ok, but there are still cracks there as a reminder of when they broke.

I didn't think I could ever get past losing my dad. In a way, I haven't because not a day goes by that I don't think about him and everything I do is in his memory, and as koopmanclan said, it is to continue his legacy. Your story really touched me, and I won't tell you that you will be ok (because I didn't believe anyone who said it to me, so why should I expect you to) but I will tell you that I'm ok. 4 years after losing him I'm able to write about it now without falling to pieces (and I know how tough it is to write about whilst it's all still happening so well done you, it's a big thing to do and hopefully an emotional release for you), and importantly (although there are tough days) I can now say that I do feel happy.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Daddysgirl 86 just want to say thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my blog. I appreciate your advice and insight in what's to come. It's a long hard road I can see ahead and I can't even comprehend him not being here for a moment right now. One day at a time approach for me