A tribute to someone that made me smile at just the right time

4 minute read time.

There are times in your life when you come across people that have an effect on your life. This is a tribute to one such lady, a lady who although I only knew for 48 hours, I am so pleased I met her and can’t thank her enough for making me laugh and smile when I was feeling pretty poorly. 

This is the story and not all of it but I can tell you now it is one that is staying with me for the rest of my life. Those people that say cancer hospitals are full of sadness could not be more wrong and this one little story proves it. 

It was my first cycle back on chemotherapy, my temperature spiked to over 39degress, I was in a lot of pain and couldn’t move out of my bed, an ambulance was called and I ended up on the assessment unit, chemotherapy was stopped while they figured out what was going on. Three days later I was moved up to a ward, late on in the evening. I was struggling, hadn’t slept well, was sweating from the Oxycodone, felt poorly and hadn’t eaten for several days. I was in a bay of two, from behind the curtain as I was unpacking my things a voice said “Hiya love, I’m Jean, hope your ok?”, so I replied introducing myself and saying I hope she got a good night sleep and I wouldn’t be long sorting my things out and apologising for any noise. 

I woke and lay silently, just focusing on how I felt and whether it was any better than the day before and if I could manage a sit down shower today when Jeans voice came through the curtains using a nickname that only very few would call me (namely my mum and my best friend) and I hadn’t told her - I was a little taken aback but also very reassured by it for some reason. Anyway I said if she would like to use the bathroom first for showering as it would take me a little time to get going, if I could just use the toilet, which I did and left my bed pan on the floor for the nurse to take when they have a minute. The nurse came round and was busy taking my BP when from the bathroom comes yelling “it’s running out the door, all my knickers are wet, oh my god it’s filling up your bed pan - it’s going to overflow, I’ve moved it but you can’t use that now” then the door flung opens and Jean wet through in a towel comes out with a gush of water from the shower. You couldn’t make it up, it was going everywhere. “Stay on your bed, don’t move or you’ll slip, I’m all wet, my slippers are wet, all my clothes are wet” Jean says. By this time there are several nurses and healthcare assistants in the room with a mountain of towels trying to contain the water. Turns out you have to have the shower facing a specific way or the bedroom gets it, along with it’s occupants. “You knew that would happen, that’s why you let me have first shower, I know your game” says Jean winking at me and then laughing.

“No, I really didn’t, honestly” I reply still in a fit of giggles at the ridiculous situation that’s occurred. The thing that got me was the bed pan - Jean was more bothered that they wouldn’t be able to measure my output not that fact that along with her knickers and water there would of been something else on the floor too had she of not moved it or even saw it filling up. 

Following the incident, of which we referred back to throughout the day, I had to take my shower. I learnt from Jeans mistake and decided to undress and use my dressing gown to go into the bathroom. I’m sat having my shower, turning it off and on only when I need the water, I mean you don’t need the shower on to put shampoo into your hair do you? All the while thinking please don’t be another deluge, I had also barricaded the door with a whole heap of towels, just in case and there’s s knock at the door, “just checking you’re ok in there, don’t get too tired, make sure you’re sitting down, oh and there’s no water coming out, yet”. 

I sat there and smiled, Jean had taken the time to get up out of bed and check on me. 

The rest of the day was spent with her recalling many stories from her very interesting life, all of which she recounted with humour even when they were difficult times some of them. She joked with my husband, introduced her visitors of which there were several and throughout the day kept checking I was feeling ok. 

Later in the evening, she was moved to a bigger bay the other side of the ward, she was hoping to go home the next day and said she would come and say goodbye before she went.

And that was exactly what she did, at lunchtime the following day, I heard my name (well, my nickname) being called down the corridor and there she was - she was going home but with the news that her time was limited, 2-3 weeks they said. She told me to look after myself and to keep eating and build my strength up and fight this disease, then gave me a big hug and said goodbye. That lady, that down to earth, bubbly, caring lady made me laugh, smile and feel cared for in those brief 48 hours and I am so glad that I got to meet her. 

Anonymous