My love is broken

2 minute read time.

Since the first time I saw my wife I knew.

She was going to be her husband friend and partner forever. We have been heart and soul in love for years. Until the past few months. I first I thought I had done or said something to put her off. She has/had been moody, and short with me. So I did what I thought I was suppose to do and did what I could to fix her issues with me.

Still she was not happy and in some cases down right cold. The just awhile ago always tried and started to put on the weight. Then the growth in her neck. Started. And a few appointments and tests later here I am. We're just told she has thyroid Cancer. We are still waiting for testing to now type. 

She has always been a bit harden with sharing how she feels about things or situations. BUT, this I asked her one time after the last appointment "Are you okay do you want to go talk for a bit before we get the kids" she just said "I am fine"she gave me a kiss and left to get the kids. She never missed a beat. My father said when she came to get the kids. She just acting as if she had just got the tires replaced on the car. While telling him of the appointment.

I was just told by my sisterinlaw my wife said I was being to clingy and trying to do to much. Even a third was her saying I did do enough. ( in pass heated discussion by her) So I stepped up to do right by my love. Now It's to much. I know this all just started, and there is a long run for us to take. I just want her know that I am here and I love her dearly. I just want to help. How can I if she doesn't share. She holds it in until she lets out like a mechine gun. For this problem    I can not let it go. I know she is scared. I know she is worried. I know she just wanted to cry. "Lord knows I did".   What can I do? When the reason for my past 16+years of life shuts me out? How can I find the healthy balance between doing to much and not enough. To stay away from being clingy and to far away. If anyone knows how I can at least get her talking about how she feels. Please share.    My love is broken and I just want to help support her. I want my old wife back. Will she ever be the same?

Anonymous
  • Hi Rthomas,

I'm sorry to hear about your wife, it's good to see that you want to support her as best you can. Macmillan can help with Talking about cancer advice. They can also give you practical advice and direct you to support in your area if you give them a call after 9am on Monday on 0808 808 0000.

There is a group for Family and friendswhere you can meet other people in similar situations to talk through how this is affecting you.

We also have the Thyroid group where people share their experiences of thyroid cancer and treatment, it might help your wife to join and speak to people going through the same thing.

When I was first diagnosed I buried my head in the sand and didn't want to talk about it much so it might be worth letting your wife process things and open up at her own pace, as long as she knows that you are always there to talk.

I wish you both well and hope that a good heart to heart can get you talking.

Xx